Gmail talkgadget/hangouts/chat infinite loop
|Reported by:||cypherpunks||Owned by:||erinn|
|Actual Points:||Parent ID:|
Version: Tor Browser Bundle 126.96.36.199
*please relocate to appropriate thread if incorrect*
Gmail allows for two types of chat: by default, hangouts, and by choice, legacy chat. These operate in a frame on the lower left of Gmail. Legacy chat works, but reverting to legacy chat from hangouts is impossible from Tor Browser Bundle 188.8.131.52, where an infinite loop interferes.
- Gmail load attempted with restrictive NoScript settings. Options appear: loosen restrictions, or use HTML only.
- mail.google.com is whitelisted in NoScript, as well as (optionally) some of the following domains:
- Page is reloaded. The following error message appears in the lower left chat frame: "Something's not right. We're having trouble connecting to Google. We'll keep trying...\n This may be caused by network or proxy issues. <a href="https://support.google.com/hangouts/?p=not_right_error&hl=en">Learn more</a>.
- apis.google.com is whitelisted in NoScript, as recommended on the linked support page. Gmail is refreshed.
- Hangouts loads, with contact list visible. Within seconds, it disappears and is replaced with a Sign In button.
- The Sign In button is clicked. A pop-up appears with a log-in page from domain accounts.google.com. Password is entered; user signs in. Page declares success, instructs user to close pop-up and refresh Gmail.
- Go to step 5.
This bug prevents users from being able to use Google chat at all, since reverting to legacy chat requires accessing the main menu in talkgadget/hangouts.
Tried many combinations of NoScript whitelists. None works.
Change History (7)
comment:2 Changed 12 months ago by cypherpunks
comment:3 Changed 12 months ago by gk
- Keywords tbb-usability-website added; gmail google bundle hangouts removed