Opened 9 years ago

Closed 9 years ago

#1700 closed defect (fixed)

Wikipedia URL error

Reported by: pde Owned by: pde
Priority: Very High Milestone:
Component: HTTPS Everywhere/EFF-HTTPS Everywhere Version:
Severity: Keywords:
Cc: Actual Points:
Parent ID: Points:
Reviewer: Sponsor:

Description

Some people have reported that 0.2.2.development.1 bounces people to incorrect Wikipedia URLs when they click on Google search results.

Many details in this thread:

https://mail1.eff.org/pipermail/https-everywhere/2010-July/000056.html

Child Tickets

Change History (6)

comment:1 Changed 9 years ago by pde

Component: Android (Orbot)-Backend / CoreEFF-HTTPS Everywhere
Owner: set to pde

oops wrong component :)

comment:2 Changed 9 years ago by whtiger

Verified. Using 0.2.2.development.1

Looking at wireshark, I'm only seeing it talk with secure.wikimedia.org.

Looking at the headers from Live HTTP Headers shows that the Host header is incorrect. As far as I can tell it's sending this incorrect Host (en.wikipedia.org) to secure.mediawiki.org and that's causing it to 404.

If I Replay it with Live HTTP Headers, it's always the same result. When I change the Host to secure.wikimedia.org it works perfectly. From what I gather it's not properly changing the Host over, even though it's talking with the correct server.

GET /wikipedia/en/wiki/Quantum_mechanics HTTP/1.1
Host: en.wikipedia.org
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux x86_64; en-US; rv:1.9.2.8pre) Gecko/20100720 Ubuntu/9.10 (lucid) Firefox/3.6.8pre
Accept: text/html,application/xhtml+xml,application/xml;q=0.9,*/*;q=0.8
Accept-Language: en-us,en;q=0.5
Accept-Encoding: gzip,deflate
Accept-Charset: ISO-8859-1,utf-8;q=0.7,*;q=0.7
Keep-Alive: 115
Connection: keep-alive

comment:3 Changed 9 years ago by pde

Resolution: fixed
Status: newclosed

comment:4 Changed 9 years ago by whtiger

Resolution: fixed
Status: closedreopened

The bug has returned for me. The exact same thing is happening as before. It did work for awhile, and I'm not sure what changed. I'm using 0.2.3.development.1. Looking at Live HTTP Headers shows that the Host field is incorrect.

I'm using 4.0b8pre, which might have something to do with it. But it did work for awhile. I don't have another Firefox to test with right now.

comment:5 Changed 9 years ago by whtiger

Whoops, I tried it on a clean profile and it works fine. Reinstalled it and works fine. -_- Feel free to close this again.

comment:6 Changed 9 years ago by rransom

Resolution: fixed
Status: reopenedclosed
Note: See TracTickets for help on using tickets.