Opened 3 years ago

Closed 3 years ago

#17792 closed defect (fixed)

Donation banner translations

Reported by: arthuredelstein Owned by: tbb-team
Priority: Medium Milestone:
Component: Applications/Tor Browser Version:
Severity: Normal Keywords: funding, crowdfunding, donations, TorBrowserTeam201512R
Cc: gk, mcs Actual Points:
Parent ID: #17534 Points:
Reviewer: Sponsor:

Description

Transifex has translated the donation banner to many languages. If we want to include the donation banner in some of these locales, we will need to explicitly activate those locales in the donation banner code. And we will need to adjust the text size and/or layout to accommodate the variation in text length between languages. Which languages should we include?

Finally, we will need to import the latest translations from Transifex before building TBB.

Child Tickets

Change History (7)

comment:1 Changed 3 years ago by arthuredelstein

Keywords: funding crowdfunding donations TorBrowserTeam201512 added

comment:2 Changed 3 years ago by arthuredelstein

Cc: gk mcs added
Keywords: TorBrowserTeam201512R added; TorBrowserTeam201512 removed
Status: newneeds_review

Here's a patch for review. I activated all languages for which the donation banner was fully translated:

https://github.com/arthuredelstein/torbutton/commit/17792

comment:3 Changed 3 years ago by gk

Parent ID: #17534

Looks good. One nit:

      div = document.getElementById("donation-banner-" + suffix);
      div.innerHTML = text;

You either got the indentation wrong for div.innerHTML = text or wanted to have a "," and not a ";". I am taking the patch as is for the stable hoping that we finally can get a build going. Could you fix that for master?

comment:4 Changed 3 years ago by mcs

This looks OK to Kathy and me as well (with gk's nit noted).
I would probably have used a more aggressive ratio (e.g., 0.97) to shrink the font size inside the (0...100) loop, but when Kathy and I tested on Mac OS we saw a maximum of 12 iterations (so it is should be OK as you coded it).

We also notice that some translators translated the people's names; I hope that is OK and correct.

comment:5 in reply to:  3 Changed 3 years ago by arthuredelstein

Replying to gk:

Looks good. One nit:

      div = document.getElementById("donation-banner-" + suffix);
      div.innerHTML = text;

You either got the indentation wrong for div.innerHTML = text or wanted to have a "," and not a ";". I am taking the patch as is for the stable hoping that we finally can get a build going. Could you fix that for master?

Fortunately it is only an indentation mistake.

https://github.com/arthuredelstein/torbutton/commit/17792+1

comment:6 in reply to:  4 Changed 3 years ago by arthuredelstein

Replying to mcs:

This looks OK to Kathy and me as well (with gk's nit noted).
I would probably have used a more aggressive ratio (e.g., 0.97) to shrink the font size inside the (0...100) loop, but when Kathy and I tested on Mac OS we saw a maximum of 12 iterations (so it is should be OK as you coded it).

That's true: 0.97 might have been better. I have left it for now in order not to delay things.

We also notice that some translators translated the people's names; I hope that is OK and correct.

I checked with git show 91dc453849badd9 | grep who and there are two such locales included. The Russian locale is using a direct transliteration to Cyrillic. The Simplified Chinese locale has transcribed their names to Chinese characters, while including their original names as well. I tried reversing both back to "English" with Google Translate -- the Russian result is nearly perfect and the Chinese result is interesting.

BTW, I just added Farsi to the list of donation banner languages in the patch for master.

comment:7 Changed 3 years ago by gk

Resolution: fixed
Status: needs_reviewclosed

Thanks, applied to master (commit 2faa79edfc674786a062a22a93f95734cdcacf15).

Note: See TracTickets for help on using tickets.