Compare datagram Tor designs
|Reported by:||arma||Owned by:||sjmurdoch|
|Actual Points:||Parent ID:|
Description (last modified by sjmurdoch)
A popular topic over the years has been moving from TCP transport between Tor relays to UDP transport, and then maybe switching to some congestion control approach that better recognizes the real endpoints in the communication.
We've been talking to Robert Watson and Bjoern A. Zeeb of the FreeBSD project about helping to fund them to port the FreeBSD network stack to user-space. Lately the user-space networking stack has seemed like the primary stumbling block.
We really ought to have a better intuition about what we're going to actually *do* once that stumbling block is resolved.
We should write a draft design doc and spec for a future version of Tor based on UDP transport. One main goal is to identify areas of uncertainty that need to be solved before such a system can be built and deployed. Another aspect of that goal is to identify and flesh out unsolved research questions, and pros and cons to various tradeoffs that designs like this have made. For example, should we do TCP-over-UDP pairwise, or end-to-end? Various research groups have very strong feelings, and often their recommendations conflict.
We might draw on six pieces of background work for ideas:
1) Joel Reardon's thesis:
2) The old ZKS designs:
4) Camilo Viecco's UDP-Tor design:
5) Csaba Kiraly's work:
6) Marc Liberatore's proposal 100:
7) SHALON: Lightweight Anonymization based on Open Standards by Panchenko et al:
The design should be sure to include a transition plan, and a plan for how to let clients who need blocking-resistance (e.g. they need to look like SSL on the wire) continue to use the network.
Change History (20)
comment:8 Changed 4 years ago by sjmurdoch
- Owner set to sjmurdoch
- Status changed from new to assigned
comment:11 Changed 4 years ago by sjmurdoch
- Description modified (diff)
- Status changed from assigned to accepted
comment:12 Changed 4 years ago by arma
- Summary changed from Project: design for UDP transport to Project: comparison of datagram tor designs
comment:15 Changed 4 years ago by karsten
- Summary changed from Project: comparison of datagram tor designs to Compare datagram Tor designs
- Type changed from enhancement to project