Opened 2 years ago

Last modified 5 months ago

#21222 assigned project

Main ticket for website redesign project

Reported by: isabela Owned by: isabela
Priority: Very High Milestone: website redesign
Component: Webpages/Website Version:
Severity: Normal Keywords: ux-team,
Cc: isabela, mcs, linda, antonela, andz@…, dmr Actual Points:
Parent ID: Points:
Reviewer: Sponsor:

Description (last modified by isabela)

Website redesign main ticket introduction

This is a huge project the UX team is leading and it has a lot of steps involved on it. Our goal is for this project to be the base of something that can scale while we continue to iterate on it.

What problems are we trying to fix?

This project aims to fix many problems that goes beyond just a redesign thing, even though we are calling it 'website redesign'.

Yes, Tor Project website is not the best thing in the world and is a big problem that must be fixed. And this is a problem that we can't ignore anymore, is hurting many initiatives we have at Tor Project.

Our community is growing and this growth is part of the 'website problem'. A lot of information have been added to torproject.org over the years leading to what we have now. Is a good problem to have, but right now we must reorganize this information to better set ourselves to continue grow.

Here is a list of some problems easily recognizable with the current site:

  • Not localized
  • Too much information at the front page
  • Still hard to find information
  • Hard to add new information (ends up contributing to the mess) and we need to add more information because we are growing :) we have a lot to share
  • inconsistency with the design

And we could go on but the point of this doc is not to have a full description of all the problems we have but just an introduction to set the stage for explaining what we are thinking for a solution and the steps of its implementation.

How we solve it?

Our solution right now is to create new portals to better organize information and also at the same time keep torproject.org simple and easy for first comers to find their way around into what Tor is and how to get/use it.

So we will be building:

  • torproject.org - with 'new user' as our main audience for this portal [of course with easy way to navigate to the other portals:
  • dev.torproject.org - short explanation: "all things related to the development of free software projects of Tor Project"
  • community.torproject.org - short explanation: "a umbrella of things that are power by our community, or a portal to 'help people help Tor'.
  • support.torproject.org - user support website

Are we loosing press? FAQs? Donate page? The Blog? No :) the list above are the main entrance to all these things and more.

I invite you to read more about each of this portal and other work related to this initiative in the children tickets (and their children tickets) associated with this project. Is a big project and the information written here is a summary of the summary ;)

Why now?

Right now we are with fund and a team to carry this work. And we need to do this to enable many other great work at Tor to have infrastructure to support their project. We believe that these portals will help a lot of groups inside of Tor Project to better provide information about their work and therefore receive help to do so.

The short version of the process we will follow for each portal

#### process for each site will be:

  1. content architecture - map current content related to the portal and organize it
  1. whiteboard draw organization of the content into pages
  1. wireframe these pages
  1. create design for these pages [these include design reviews till we are happy with what we have]
  1. start organizing content for the pages (with the design already done we will be working with that)
  1. update high definition mockups with real content
  1. guerrilla user testing #1
  1. start coding the pages
  1. once content is finished we upload them on transifex for translation to start
  1. Once coding is done we can start QA by language (as translations gets complete)

10.[we could do another user test here too before launch if we want - or we can run one after lunch and continue iteration]

What we will use to build it?

Right now we are testing Lektor for the framework to use:
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/24275

We are also working on a project that will help us build the themes for these portals but also anyone else who would like to follow our style guidelines for their site.

We are creating a fork of bootstrap and changing its css based on our guidelines, we plan to use it to build the front end of the portals. You can follow this project here (and it's children tickets):

[ need to add ticket ]

Some portals like 'support' need a search tool as well. For that we are looking at:

[ need to add a ticket ]

Are we planing to test things?

Yes, not only our framework but everything! We hope to do as many research and test we can, it will all depend on our bandwidth and resources. Since we have been working on building this 'testing' and 'research' steps into our processes we already have some stuff in place that can help us carry those on. We hope to continue to add more resources in this front to be able to do even more of those in the future!

This project is actually the first year of a 3 years project where we hope to build this user feedback / testing process and have it happening in large scale for all the projects we are working on.

What about translation?

We will localize first:

  • torproject.org
  • support.torproject.org

The languages we will support are our tier1 languages :
https://storm.torproject.org/shared/o7Rh2S9bsMNN7Eh7C9cKaqxR371pR1AmpRxbu--nC34

  1. English - EN
  2. Farsi - FA
  3. Spanish - ES
  4. Russian - RU
  5. Simplified Chinese - zh-CN
  6. Portuguese - PT-BR
  7. French - FR
  8. German - DE
  9. Korean - KO
  10. Turkish - TR
  11. Italian - IT
  12. Arabic - AR

Translation will be done using Transifex community, thousands of people who have already been translating other Tor things.

We will add a step for Localization Review of the translated sites with a native speaker of each language. So we can have a review in context since as many other crowdsourcing translation tools, translation within context is something they miss. But they do have other features, such as translation memory and vocabulary features that helps a lot on making sure of the translation quality across so many pages and product UIs.

So we will stick with the good practices of using a good tool like Transifex to do the translation and incorporate a review in context step with native speakers. Hopefully we will have volunteers to help us out with all those tier 1 languages.

What have we done

*this part is not done yet*
The story of Tor Project website is long! But to cut it short we will talk from 2015 - now (EOY 2017)

This work will incorporate work from past efforts. We did some work on the support page before this site-wide effort.

Child Tickets

TicketStatusOwnerSummaryComponent
#18243newisabelaWebsite redesign - Phase 1Webpages/Website
#22120closedlindaResearch tasks (tor project website redesign)Webpages/Website
#22121closedlindaold tasks (tor project website redesign)Webpages/Website
#23266newCarryover TasksWebpages/Website
#24129assignedisabelasupport.torproject.org workWebpages/Website
#24131assignedhirotorproject.org workWebpages/Website
#24132assignedisabeladev.torproject.org workWebpages/Website
#24133assignedpilicommunity.torproject.org workWebpages/Website
#24275closedhiroTesting Lecktor as a possible framework to be used for all portals related to website redesign projectWebpages/Website
#24280closedhirodeploy styleguide.tpo (fork of bootstrap following tpo design styleguide)Webpages/Website
#24376assignedhiroSearch backend for websites - Test and deploy SolrWebpages/Website
#28532newMap link changes from current tpo to lektor projectsWebpages

Attachments (1)

Tor home visual.png (735.8 KB) - added by Pari 15 months ago.
concept for torproject Home page

Download all attachments as: .zip

Change History (32)

comment:1 Changed 22 months ago by linda

Cc: hiro removed
Description: modified (diff)
Owner: changed from lnl to linda
Priority: MediumVery High
Reporter: changed from lnl to linda
Status: newassigned
Summary: Prepare toRedesigning torproject.org

comment:2 Changed 22 months ago by linda

Description: modified (diff)

comment:3 Changed 22 months ago by linda

Description: modified (diff)

comment:4 Changed 22 months ago by linda

Description: modified (diff)

comment:5 Changed 22 months ago by linda

Description: modified (diff)

comment:6 Changed 22 months ago by linda

Description: modified (diff)

comment:7 Changed 22 months ago by linda

Description: modified (diff)

comment:8 Changed 22 months ago by mcs

Cc: mcs added

comment:10 Changed 22 months ago by linda

Description: modified (diff)

comment:11 Changed 21 months ago by linda

Cc: linda added

comment:12 Changed 21 months ago by linda

Cc: antonela added

comment:13 Changed 20 months ago by linda

Component: WebpagesWebpages/Website
Keywords: ux-team added; website removed

comment:14 Changed 17 months ago by linda

Description: modified (diff)
Summary: Redesigning torproject.orgRedesigning torproject.org: cleanup and update, content organization, and creating themed portals

comment:15 Changed 16 months ago by Pari

Hey! I am an applicant for outreachy who is a user experience designer. I would love to take this up! would it be okay?

comment:16 in reply to:  15 ; Changed 16 months ago by cypherpunks

Replying to Pari:

Hey! I am an applicant for outreachy who is a user experience designer. I would love to take this up! would it be okay?

Have a look at #22077 ;)

comment:17 in reply to:  16 ; Changed 16 months ago by Pari

Replying to cypherpunks:

Replying to Pari:

Hey! I am an applicant for outreachy who is a user experience designer. I would love to take this up! would it be okay?

Have a look at #22077 ;)

Hey, thanks! will look at these

comment:18 in reply to:  17 ; Changed 15 months ago by linda

Replying to Pari:

Replying to cypherpunks:

Replying to Pari:

Hey! I am an applicant for outreachy who is a user experience designer. I would love to take this up! would it be okay?

Have a look at #22077 ;)

Hey, thanks! will look at these

Hi, we're already into this work, but would love to incorporate you into the process, or get your feedback. If you're interested, let me know!

comment:19 in reply to:  18 Changed 15 months ago by Pari

Replying to linda:

Replying to Pari:

Replying to cypherpunks:

Replying to Pari:

Hey! I am an applicant for outreachy who is a user experience designer. I would love to take this up! would it be okay?

Have a look at #22077 ;)

Hey, thanks! will look at these

Hi, we're already into this work, but would love to incorporate you into the process, or get your feedback. If you're interested, let me know!

Hey, thanks for the reply. Yes I am interested in this. I had some initial ideas on it, let me know what task to pick and I would love to help out!

Last edited 15 months ago by Pari (previous) (diff)

Changed 15 months ago by Pari

Attachment: Tor home visual.png added

concept for torproject Home page

comment:20 Changed 15 months ago by Pari

hi, I have attached my take on the home page design. please have a look!

Last edited 15 months ago by Pari (previous) (diff)

comment:21 in reply to:  18 Changed 15 months ago by Pari

Replying to linda:

Replying to Pari:

Replying to cypherpunks:

Replying to Pari:

Hey! I am an applicant for outreachy who is a user experience designer. I would love to take this up! would it be okay?

Have a look at #22077 ;)

Hey, thanks! will look at these

Hi, we're already into this work, but would love to incorporate you into the process, or get your feedback. If you're interested, let me know!
hi, I have attached my take on the home page design. please have a look!

comment:22 Changed 15 months ago by linda

Thanks for that design! Would you be interested in joining the UX team meeting this week? (Details here) We'd love to chat with you in person! Email me at linda@… if you have any questions on how to get to the meeting.

comment:23 in reply to:  22 Changed 15 months ago by Pari

Replying to linda:

Hey, I'd love to join the UX meeting. Have dropped you a mail regarding the same :)

Last edited 15 months ago by Pari (previous) (diff)

comment:24 Changed 14 months ago by isabela

Description: modified (diff)
Reporter: changed from linda to isabela
Summary: Redesigning torproject.org: cleanup and update, content organization, and creating themed portalsMain ticket for website redesign project

comment:25 Changed 14 months ago by isabela

Description: modified (diff)

comment:26 Changed 14 months ago by isabela

Description: modified (diff)
Owner: changed from linda to isabela

comment:27 Changed 14 months ago by isabela

Description: modified (diff)

comment:28 Changed 14 months ago by isabela

Milestone: website redesign

comment:29 Changed 14 months ago by isabela

Description: modified (diff)

comment:30 Changed 14 months ago by anadahz

Cc: andz@… added

comment:31 Changed 11 months ago by isabela

Description: modified (diff)

comment:32 Changed 5 months ago by dmr

Cc: dmr added
Note: See TracTickets for help on using tickets.