Branding of TBB
|Reported by:||ioerror||Owned by:||erinn|
|Cc:||helix, gk, peter@…, adrelanos@…||Actual Points:|
I think we should have a consistent branding of TBB across all platforms and releases.
There are two major issues relating to having consistent branding:
- Firefox has nice icons/branding and some users understand them to be The Internet.
- We may visually identify ourselves as the Tor Browser Bundle and thus a user may be detected as using Tor.
Generally speaking, I think that the first issue causes us problems on a number of levels. The most obvious is that a user may have multiple icons that look like Firefox - which one provides anonymity? In some cases, we simply don't brand as Firefox (Linux); it's not clear how a user will be trained in a cross platform way from a branding standpoint. The UX issues here seem to largely come from users not knowing what Tor does and does not do for them.
I'm a bit concerned that the second issue is a losing issue all around. We ship Vidalia with an icon that is obviously Tor related.
Another issue is related to trademarks; someday, someone from somewhere is gonna be pissed. I think we should be ready in advance, even if it's with crappy icons or slightly crappy branding.
Change History (46)
Changed 5 years ago by ioerror
comment:35 Changed 4 years ago by mikeperry
- Milestone set to TorBrowserBundle 2.2.x-stable
- Priority changed from normal to major
- Type changed from enhancement to defect
comment:42 Changed 4 years ago by proper
- Cc adrelanos@… added
- Resolution fixed deleted
- Status changed from closed to reopened
comment:44 Changed 2 years ago by gk
- Cc gk added; g.koppen@… removed
- Keywords tbb-branding added
- Milestone TorBrowserBundle 2.2.x-stable deleted