Opened 8 weeks ago

Last modified 5 weeks ago

#30336 needs_information defect

Tor Browser for Android Alpha

Reported by: WinXAnd511 Owned by: tbb-team
Priority: Medium Milestone:
Component: Applications/Tor Browser Version:
Severity: Normal Keywords: tbb-mobile
Cc: Actual Points:
Parent ID: Points:
Reviewer: Sponsor:

Description

On Android 5.1.1 launching the browser gets you first warnings in the log:

WARNING: linker: /data/app/org.torproject.torbrowser_alpha-1/lib/arm/libTor.so: unused DT entry: type 0x6ffffffe arg 0x6e400
WARNING: linker: /data/app/org.torproject.torbrowser_alpha-1/lib/arm/libTor.so: unused DT entry: type 0x6ffffffe arg 0x3

Next success and notices but then:

WARN: failed to open GEOIP file /usr/local/share/tor/geoip.
WARN: We've been configuredto use (or avoid) nodes in certain countries, and we need GEOIP information to figure out which ones they are.

Then a lot of WARN: Problem bootstrapping and connecting

No connection ever gets done.

Child Tickets

Change History (6)

comment:1 in reply to:  description Changed 8 weeks ago by gk

Component: Core TorApplications/Tor Browser
Keywords: tbb-mobile added
Owner: set to tbb-team
Priority: Very HighMedium
Severity: BlockerNormal
Status: newneeds_information

Replying to WinXAnd511:

On Android 5.1.1 launching the browser gets you first warnings in the log:

WARNING: linker: /data/app/org.torproject.torbrowser_alpha-1/lib/arm/libTor.so: unused DT entry: type 0x6ffffffe arg 0x6e400
WARNING: linker: /data/app/org.torproject.torbrowser_alpha-1/lib/arm/libTor.so: unused DT entry: type 0x6ffffffe arg 0x3

Next success and notices but then:

WARN: failed to open GEOIP file /usr/local/share/tor/geoip.
WARN: We've been configuredto use (or avoid) nodes in certain countries, and we need GEOIP information to figure out which ones they are.

How did you configure Tor Browser? And where did you get it from?

comment:2 Changed 8 weeks ago by gk

I think the "unused DT entry" warnings are harmless (see: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/33206409/unused-dt-entry-type-0x1d-arg and there the first answer).

comment:3 Changed 8 weeks ago by WinXAnd511

I got the Tor Browser through the Google store. It said there was an update available :/ No version to be found in the app. Configuration came from previous version - so an update to the next version seems to be a problem IMO.

Just wanted to give as much info as possible, so included every warning ;-)

BTW: uninstalled it now.

comment:4 in reply to:  3 Changed 8 weeks ago by gk

Replying to WinXAnd511:

I got the Tor Browser through the Google store. It said there was an update available :/ No version to be found in the app. Configuration came from previous version - so an update to the next version seems to be a problem IMO.

How did you configure the previous version?

Just wanted to give as much info as possible, so included every warning ;-)

Yeah, that's great. Thanks for that!

BTW: uninstalled it now.

Does the new version work if you install it again, fresh?

comment:5 Changed 5 weeks ago by sysrqb

Neat bug. I think this should be solved by uninstalling and reinstalling the app.

I'm guessing this happened because the configuration was changed for restricting nodes by country code when we used Orbot's UI originally (configuring EntryNodes, ExitNodes, StrictNodes, ExcludeNodes, etc). In newer releases, we don't ship the geoip databases, so bootstrapping breaks.

comment:6 Changed 5 weeks ago by WinXAnd511

@sysrqb, @gk

Indeed - in the "old" version I had restricted the exit nodes. In the new version this is not possible :-(

Strange thing is when I reinstalled Orbot no problem - it connects. Using Orfox however doesn't work anymore - keeps searching and doesn't find a thing (not even wikipedia). Uninstall after Tor for Android and reinstall Orfox did solve the problem. It is now extremely slow, quite unusable in fact (1 min loading time for wikipedia on high speed WiFi).

The new situation is that only Tor Browser for Android works and I can't set my exit node restrictions (or preferences as it is in Orbot), making it not that useful :-/ Changing identity is impossible too :-(and I get the impression it is using a lot of battery power (online with nearby high speed WiFi, measured Tor vs Firefox focus, connecting both to wikipedia).

Sadly the documentation on torproject.org is outdated - only Orbot and Orfox is available.
I couldn't find the torrc file to edit on Android either.

Note: See TracTickets for help on using tickets.