Opened 8 months ago

Closed 8 months ago

Last modified 8 months ago

#33364 closed defect (fixed)

Could not connect to the bridge.

Reported by: cypherpunks Owned by: cohosh
Priority: Medium Milestone:
Component: Circumvention/Snowflake Version:
Severity: Normal Keywords: snowflake-webextension
Cc: cohosh, phw, arlolra, dcf Actual Points:
Parent ID: Points:
Reviewer: Sponsor:

Description

Console error message:

Firefox can’t establish a connection to the server at wss://snowflake.freehaven.net/.

Relevant code at: snowflake.js:867:9

A ping from the command prompt to this subdomain succeeds. It's just Firefox that can't connect.

Child Tickets

Change History (13)

comment:1 Changed 8 months ago by cohosh

Owner: set to cohosh
Status: newassigned

Ah-ha, you're right. It wasn't showing up for me because I hadn't restarted it in a while. I'm able to reproduce it now.

So, it seems there are two problems here:
1) we should do the probe check occasionally while the proxy is running (i made #33365 for that).

2) why does Firefox suddenly not like this domain?

comment:2 Changed 8 months ago by cypherpunks

I think it would be a good idea to add a button so that a user can manually ping the bridge instead of having to disable then enable the webextension?

comment:3 Changed 8 months ago by cohosh

The embedded version is also failing: https://snowflake.torproject.org/

It's not working on chrome either, I bet it's the freehaven domain that's causing trouble. I'll try a webextension with bamsoftware.com

comment:4 Changed 8 months ago by cohosh

Okay it's also not working with snowflake.bamsoftware.com or snowflake.torproject.net.
Checked with a local proxy-go instance and it's also not working so there must be something wrong with the bridge.

comment:5 in reply to:  4 Changed 8 months ago by dcf

Keywords: snowflake-webextension added
Summary: (snowflake-webextension) Could not connect to the bridge.Could not connect to the bridge.

Replying to cohosh:

Checked with a local proxy-go instance and it's also not working so there must be something wrong with the bridge.

See #33367, there's something going wrong with the memory use of snowflake-server.

comment:6 Changed 8 months ago by dcf

Do your local tests still fail since I restarted the bridge at 2020-02-18 19:15:30 in comment:4:ticket:33367?

comment:7 in reply to:  6 Changed 8 months ago by cohosh

Replying to dcf:

Do your local tests still fail since I restarted the bridge at 2020-02-18 19:15:30 in comment:4:ticket:33367?

Working again :)

comment:8 Changed 8 months ago by cypherpunks

Reporter here, reporting that it is indeed working now.

Edit: Should there be any errors in the console? I also have this one:

Unchecked lastError value: Error: First-Party Isolation is enabled, but the required 'firstPartyDomain' attribute was not set.

This is from uMatrix's code. The setting causing this error is:

Spoof HTTP referrer string of third-party requests, when set to true (box checked)

Last edited 8 months ago by cypherpunks (previous) (diff)

comment:9 in reply to:  8 ; Changed 8 months ago by dcf

Closing this because it was most likely caused by #33367.

Replying to cypherpunks:

Edit: Should there be any errors in the console? I also have this one:

Unchecked lastError value: Error: First-Party Isolation is enabled, but the required 'firstPartyDomain' attribute was not set.

This is from uMatrix's code. The setting causing this error is:

Spoof HTTP referrer string of third-party requests, when set to true (box checked)

Sorry, I don't think we can help with uMatrix console logs, you may have to ask on a uMatrix forum. If Snowflake is throwing errors, those will show up in the console log though.

comment:10 Changed 8 months ago by cohosh

Resolution: fixed
Status: assignedclosed

comment:11 in reply to:  9 Changed 8 months ago by cypherpunks

Replying to dcf:

Sorry, I don't think we can help with uMatrix console logs, you may have to ask on a uMatrix forum. If Snowflake is throwing errors, those will show up in the console log though.

I'm a bit confused. Let me clarify my comment.

This is an error in Snowflake's console log, which is caused by a .js file in uMatrix. The interaction between these two extensions is buggy, hinging on the uMatrix setting I mentioned. So this is a bug either in Snowflake, or uMatrix.

comment:12 Changed 8 months ago by cohosh

Hmm, if there's a bug in the interaction between uMatrix and Snowflake you could create a new ticket for it. It will probably be lower priority for us at the moment, but perhaps someone else would like to take a look.

comment:13 Changed 8 months ago by cypherpunks

Ticket created: #33405

Note: See TracTickets for help on using tickets.