Opened 8 years ago

Closed 8 years ago

#4628 closed defect (fixed)

Connection refused by peer (Win 7 SP1 x64)

Reported by: bylund Owned by: chiiph
Priority: Medium Milestone: Tor: 0.2.3.x-final
Component: Archived/Vidalia Version: Tor: 0.2.2.34
Severity: Keywords:
Cc: Actual Points:
Parent ID: Points:
Reviewer: Sponsor:

Description

I've googled for this error message but have not found a single solution (!). I have installed and re-installed the latest Vidalia bundle (without the Tor browser) and every time I try to connect I get this message:

"Vidalia was unable to connect to Tor. (Connection refused by peer.)"

When checking the logs (under Advanced, there's nothing under Basic) everything seems okay. Here's from the log:

Dec 01 !10:39:09.159 [Notice] OpenSSL OpenSSL 1.0.0e 6 Sep 2011 looks like version 0.9.8m or later; I will try SSL_OP to enable renegotiation

Dec 01 !10:39:09.709 [Notice] We now have enough directory information to build circuits.

Dec 01 !10:39:09.709 [Notice] Bootstrapped 80%: Connecting to the Tor network.

Dec 01 !10:39:10.799 [Notice] Bootstrapped 85%: Finishing handshake with first hop.

Dec 01 !10:39:11.579 [Notice] Bootstrapped 90%: Establishing a Tor circuit.

Dec 01 !10:39:12.889 [Notice] Tor has successfully opened a circuit. Looks like client functionality is working.

Dec 01 !10:39:12.889 [Notice] Bootstrapped 100%: Done.

So is there an easy way of getting around this problem, or should I roll back to a previous release?

FYI, I'm on a Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 X64 machine using Windows Firewall and Microsoft Security Essentials. I had no problem with Tor before I reinstalled Windows a few days ago (don't remember what version I used then, though). I remember having some initial problems earlier (not the same one, though), which had a simple solution - I was helped solving it through a ticket such as this one (can't find it now, though). 

Child Tickets

Change History (1)

comment:1 Changed 8 years ago by bylund

Resolution: fixed
Status: newclosed

I've marked this ticket "fixed," but it really isn't (at least as far as a possible bug goes). What I did was to download another bundle (the one already set to provide a bridge, since I was providing a bridge anyhow), and after a little tweaking of the settings it works fine. Don't know why the other bundle never worked (despite three re-installs). 

On the other hand, now I cannot get my proxyswitchy extension in Chrome to work... 

Note: See TracTickets for help on using tickets.