Control port method to get v3 directory informaion
|Reported by:||atagar||Owned by:|
|Severity:||Keywords:||tor-client controller needs-proposal|
Hi Nick. Do we have v3 counterparts for the 'GETINFO ns/*' methods? From some quick experimentation...
- 'GETINFO dir/status-vote/current/consensus' seems to provide the v3 network status document (same as cached-consensus). Is this the suggested method for reading the full v3 document?
- Based on their names I suspect that 'GETINFO dir/status/all' and 'GETINFO dir/status/fp/*' should also provide network status information but they give me empty responses. I'm just guessing at their purpose since the control-spec doesn't actually say what any of the 'dir/*' options do.
Is there a method to query the v3 router status entry for a particular relay (like there is for v2)?
20:38 < atagar> armadev: Speaking of nice things to have, are there v3 counterparts for the 'GETINFO ns/*' methods? It looks like 'GETINFO dir/status-vote/current/consensus' works though I'm not finding anything that lets you query for a single relay. 20:39 < atagar> I suspect that 'dir/status/fp/*' and 'dir/status/all' are for this purpose, but they both give an empty response. 20:41 < armadev> atagar: i think the trouble is that each of these things is designed to query for a particular dir protocol version, and they all look like synonyms 20:41 < armadev> it's only going to get worse if we keep up the trend 20:43 < atagar> Agreed. There's "GETINFO network-status" which gives v1 network status information, "GETINFO ns/*" for v2 status information, and "GETINFO dir/status-vote/current/consensus" for v3 (?). Definitely confusing. :) 20:44 < atagar> Though at this point I'm just trying to figure out if individual relays can be queried with v3 at all. 20:45 < armadev> atagar: it's very possible nobody implemented that yet. 20:46 < atagar> gotcha, thanks 20:46 < armadev> i suggest a new master way to query, with a defined algorithm for how it will always answer what you expected. 20:46 < armadev> (though the trouble is that 'what you expected' may well change in dir v4. whatever that will be.) 20:48 < atagar> The method of querying hasn't changed for a long while (it's always either 'all', 'by fignerprint', or 'by nickname'). Personally I think we should mark the present GETINFO network status options as being deprecated and go with a scheme with the version in it. 20:48 < armadev> that sounds good too 20:48 < atagar> Maybe something like 'GETINFO dir/ns/v3/fp/*'
Change History (18)
comment:1 Changed 4 years ago by nickm
- Keywords tor-client controller added
- Milestone set to Tor: 0.2.5.x-final
- Type changed from defect to enhancement
comment:5 Changed 4 years ago by nickm
- Milestone changed from Tor: 0.2.5.x-final to Tor: 0.2.4.x-final
comment:12 Changed 4 years ago by nickm
- Keywords needs-proposal added
- Milestone changed from Tor: 0.2.4.x-final to Tor: 0.2.5.x-final