Opened 7 years ago

Closed 7 years ago

#8693 closed defect (fixed)

WolframAlpha is broken for certain queries in FF

Reported by: cypherpunks Owned by: schoen
Priority: Medium Milestone: HTTPS-E 3.2
Component: HTTPS Everywhere/EFF-HTTPS Everywhere Version: HTTPS-E 3.1.4
Severity: Keywords: httpse-ruleset-bug
Cc: priv.tom.janson@… Actual Points:
Parent ID: Points:
Reviewer: Sponsor:

Description

I noticed that in some, but not all WolframAlpha queries several of the "boxes", such as the results box, aren't shown (see the attached screenshots). With the addon disabled, the problem disappears.

A query that shows the problem: https://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=+EUR+%2F+m%5E2+in+USD%2Fft%5E2

I'm using Firefox 20.0.1.

Child Tickets

TicketStatusOwnerSummaryComponent
#8204closedpde[CHROME] Wolfram Alpha breaks for inexplicable reasonsHTTPS Everywhere/EFF-HTTPS Everywhere

Attachments (2)

screenshot.png (101.9 KB) - added by cypherpunks 7 years ago.
with HTTPS-E enabled, the "results" and "currency conversion" boxes are missing
screenshot2.png (167.4 KB) - added by cypherpunks 7 years ago.
with HTTPS-E disabled, everything is as it should be

Download all attachments as: .zip

Change History (4)

Changed 7 years ago by cypherpunks

Attachment: screenshot.png added

with HTTPS-E enabled, the "results" and "currency conversion" boxes are missing

Changed 7 years ago by cypherpunks

Attachment: screenshot2.png added

with HTTPS-E disabled, everything is as it should be

comment:1 Changed 7 years ago by pde

Milestone: HTTPS-E 3.1.5
Owner: changed from pde to schoen
Status: newassigned

Another kind of query for which WolframAlpha is missing functionality is queries for domains, which over HTTP offer a very handy "subdomains" button. I think we should contact Wolfram about this!

comment:2 Changed 7 years ago by schoen

Resolution: fixed
Status: assignedclosed

I thought I had a fix for this based solely on removing the securecookie, but on further testing it was still broken (query results appeared sometimes, but not other times!). I've set the Wolfram rule to default_off in both master and 3.0.

I've also contacted Wolfram about this, referring them to this bug, the HTTPS Everywhere homepage, and the Atlas entry for wolfram.com.

Note: See TracTickets for help on using tickets.