Changes between Version 63 and Version 64 of TorWeeklyNews/2014/1


Ignore:
Timestamp:
Jan 8, 2014, 1:16:13 PM (5 years ago)
Author:
lunar
Comment:

SENT

Legend:

Unmodified
Added
Removed
Modified
  • TorWeeklyNews/2014/1

    v63 v64  
    33'''Editor:''' Lunar
    44
    5 '''Status:''' FROZEN! Technical and language fixes welcome. New additions are for [wiki:TorWeeklyNews/2014/2 next week edition]. Expected publication time 2014-01-08 12:00 UTC.
    6 
    7 '''Subject:''' Tor Weekly News — January 8th, 2013
    8 
    9 {{{
    10 ========================================================================
    11 Tor Weekly News                                        January 8th, 2013
    12 ========================================================================
    13 
    14 Welcome to the first issue for the year 2014 of Tor Weekly News, the
    15 weekly newsletter that covers what is happening in the impressive Tor
    16 community. The tor-news mailing list has reached a thousand subscribers.
    17 Thanks for following us!
    18 
    19 Tor at the 30th Chaos Communication Congress
    20 --------------------------------------------
    21 
    22 The Chaos Computer Club held its thirtieth congress [1] in Hamburg,
    23 Germany during the days and nights of December 26th-30th. The congress
    24 had over 9,000 participants. The topic of pervasive surveillance was
    25 more present than ever, and Tor was a common answer to many questions.
    26 
    27    [1] https://events.ccc.de/congress/2013/
    28 
    29 “We are living in interesting times” was the subtitle of Jacob Appelbaum
    30 and Roger Dingledine's talk for this year [2]. Their tour of what
    31 happened to Tor in the past years and more importantly in the past
    32 months was seen by more than 3,000 attendees in Hamburg and a couple
    33 more from the live stream and recordings. Later on, Sophie Bayerlein had
    34 decorated a wall with her visual summary of the talk [3].
    35 
    36    [2] http://media.ccc.de/browse/congress/2013/30C3_-_5423_-_en_-_saal_1_-_201312272030_-_the_tor_network_-_jacob_-_arma.html
    37    [3] https://events.ccc.de/congress/2013/wiki/Projects:VisualNotes#The_TOR_Project
    38 
    39 The talk was quickly followed by a “How to help Tor?” workshop.
    40 Lunar reported [4] “an overwhelming success as more than 200
    41 people showed up. We were not prepared for helping so many folks
    42 waiting to learn how they can help Tor. It still created interesting
    43 discussions, I believe, and I hope we will find ways to interact more with
    44 the larger community in the upcoming weeks, especially concerning
    45 outreach to the general public.”
    46 
    47    [4] https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-reports/2014-January/000420.html
    48 
    49 Earlier the same day, a meetup of Tor relay operators was held. The
    50 small room was packed with at least 60-70 attendees. Several relay
    51 operator organizations reported on their progress: DFRI [5], Frënn vun
    52 der Ënn, Icetor [6], Noisetor, Nos oignons [7], Swiss Privacy
    53 Foundation [8] and Zwiebelfreunde. Many of these projects did not exist
    54 last year, and new organizations are still being created, like The
    55 Torrorists [9] who also gave a quick status update. Nikita Borisov gave
    56 a quick presentation of the traceroute research experiment [10] and
    57 encouraged more operators to run the test script. Several operators of
    58 important relays and directory authorities also assisted the session.
    59 Let's hope everyone shared the same feelings as Jason [11]: “It was
    60 really excellent meeting all of you and great for my morale to see all
    61 the people understanding and working towards common goals. Perhaps it's
    62 just due to my remoteness, but I rarely get to discuss projects like this
    63 at such an intricate level.”
    64 
    65    [5] https://www.dfri.se/wiki/20131227-DFRI.pdf
    66    [6] http://icetor.is/slides/icetor-relay-slides.pdf
    67    [7] https://nos-oignons.net/Pr%C3%A9sentations/30C3/2013-12-27-30C3-Tor_relay_ops-Nos-oignons.pdf
    68    [8] http://www.privacyfoundation.ch/assets/files/presentation_association_20131227.pdf
    69    [9] http://www.torrorists.de/
    70   [10] http://web.engr.illinois.edu/~das17/tor-traceroute_v1.html
    71   [11] https://www.torservers.net/pipermail/partners-discuss/ XXX 403
    72 
    73 On the lightning talks front, Kai Engert presented DetecTor [12,13,14],
    74 David Fifield covered the basics of Tor pluggable transports [15], and
    75 Michael Zeltner introduced tor2tcp [16,17]. Some OnionCat [18]
    76 developers have also been spotted in the corridors.
    77 
    78   [12] http://detector.io/
    79   [13] Slides: https://events.ccc.de/congress/2013/wiki/images/1/1b/LT-Day_3-14.45-DetecTor.IO.pdf
    80   [14] Video: http://media.ccc.de/browse/congress/2013/30C3_-_5563_-_en_-_saal_g_-_201312291245_-_lightning_talks_day_3_-_nickfarr.html
    81        at 1:56:25
    82   [15] https://www.bamsoftware.com/talks/30c3-pt/index.html
    83   [16] https://poum.niij.org/
    84   [17] Video: http://media.ccc.de/browse/congress/2013/30C3_-_5564_-_en_-_saal_g_-_201312301245_-_lightning_talks_day_4_-_nickfarr.html
    85        at 1:41:00 
    86   [18] https://www.onioncat.org/
    87 
    88 The Chaos Communication Congress is one of the rare events where an
    89 impressive number of members of the Tor community have a chance to
    90 interact. Let's hope it has been a fruitful time for everyone!
    91 
    92 Tor website needs your help!
    93 ----------------------------
    94 
    95 One of the outcomes of the “How to help Tor?” session at the 30C3 was
    96 that there were quite some people interested in helping the Tor project
    97 with its website. In order to foster anyone's participation, a larger
    98 call for help [19] has been sent.
    99 
    100 It starts by acknowledging that “Tor has shifted in the recent years
    101 from being a project prominently used by researchers, developers, and
    102 security experts to the wider audience of anyone concerned about their
    103 privacy”. As its primary audience shifted, “it is again time for
    104 important changes” to the website structure and design.
    105 
    106 As one can read in the call or browse through the ticket website [20],
    107 it's going to be a challenging task. A new mailing list has been
    108 created [21] to coordinate the efforts. Join if you want to help!
    109 
    110   [19] https://blog.torproject.org/blog/tor-website-needs-your-help
    111   [20] https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/query?component=Website&order=status
    112   [21] https://lists.torproject.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/www-team
    113 
    114 Monthly status reports for December 2013
    115 ----------------------------------------
    116 
    117 The wave of regular monthly reports from Tor project members for the
    118 month of December has begun. Philipp Winter released his report
    119 first [22], followed by reports from Pearl Crescent [23], Sherief
    120 Alaa [24], Colin C. [25], Damian Johnson [26], Tor's help desk [27],
    121 Lunar [28], Karsten Loesing [29], Matt Pagan [30], Georg Koppen [31],
    122 Ximin Luo [32], Nick Mathewson [33], and Nicolas Vigier [34].
    123 
    124   [22] https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-reports/2013-December/000414.html
    125   [23] https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-reports/2013-December/000415.html
    126   [24] https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-reports/2014-January/000416.html
    127   [25] https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-reports/2014-January/000417.html
    128   [26] https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-reports/2014-January/000418.html
    129   [27] https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-reports/2014-January/000419.html
    130   [28] https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-reports/2014-January/000420.html
    131   [29] https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-reports/2014-January/000421.html
    132   [30] https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-reports/2014-January/000422.html
    133   [31] https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-reports/2014-January/000423.html
    134   [32] https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-reports/2014-January/000424.html
    135   [33] https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-reports/2014-January/000425.html
    136   [34] https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-reports/2014-January/000426.html
    137 
    138 Miscellaneous news
    139 ------------------
    140 
    141 Anthony G. Basile released version 20131230 of Tor-ramdisk [35] — a
    142 uClibc-based micro Linux distribution whose only purpose is to host a
    143 Tor server — with an updated Linux kernel and Tor 0.2.4.20.
    144 
    145   [35] https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-talk/2014-January/031625.html
    146 
    147 Gregory Maxwell started discussion on how to improve Hidden Services key
    148 management [36]: “It would be preferable if it were possible to have a
    149 HS master key which was kept _offline_ which could be use to authorize
    150 use for some time period and/or revoke usage.” As Nick Mathewson pointed
    151 out [37], the timing is right and such issues have a chance to be
    152 addressed with the current redesign process [38,39].
    153 
    154   [36] https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-talk/2013-December/031533.html
    155   [37] https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-talk/2013-December/031546.html
    156   [38] https://gitweb.torproject.org/torspec.git/blob/HEAD:/proposals/220-ecc-id-keys.txt
    157   [39] https://gitweb.torproject.org/torspec.git/blob/HEAD:/proposals/224-rend-spec-ng.txt
    158 
    159 The Tails team has announced: “The MAC address spoofing feature is ready
    160 for testing. This feature prevents geographical tracking of your network
    161 devices (and by extension, you) by randomizing their MAC addresses.”
    162 Testing on a variety of hardware is now needed, give it a try [40]!
    163 
    164   [40] https://tails.boum.org/news/spoof-mac/
    165 
    166 The next Tails contributor online meeting [41] will be held January 9th
    167 on the IRC channel #tails-dev (OFTC) at 21:00 UTC.
    168 
    169   [41] https://mailman.boum.org/pipermail/tails-dev/2014-January/004627.html
    170 
    171 The “test/rjb-migration” branch has been merged into the Tails development
    172 tree [42]. It should now be fairly straightforward to run the automated
    173 test suite on a Debian Wheezy system.
    174 
    175   [42] https://mailman.boum.org/pipermail/tails-dev/2013-December/004562.html
    176 
    177 The Tor Project's website has gained another new mirror, thanks PW [43]!
    178 
    179   [43] https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-mirrors/2014-January/000427.html
    180 
    181 Johannes Fürmann asked [44] the relay operators community to review a
    182 short documentation [45] on how to run multiple Tor processes on one
    183 host.
    184 
    185   [44] https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-relays/2014-January/003564.html
    186   [45] https://gist.github.com/waaaaargh/8271499
    187 
    188 Some users have been tricked into downloading malware from the
    189 Torzip.com domain. Action is on-going [46] to shutdown the domain.
    190 In the meantime, watch out!
    191 
    192   [46] https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/10529
    193 
    194 Tor help desk roundup
    195 ---------------------
    196 
    197 Multiple people have now asked the help desk for support using the Tor
    198 Browser on Windows RT. Windows RT is a new edition of Windows 8.1
    199 designed for ARM devices like the Microsoft Surface. There is no
    200 supported way of using Tor on Microsoft RT.
    201 
    202 Many people have been emailing the help desk to ask how to get a new
    203 identity or set up a relay now that Vidalia is no longer included in the
    204 Tor Browser package. Vidalia is still available as a standalone
    205 package [47]. More information on the transition away from Vidalia can
    206 be found on the Tor Browser 3 FAQ wiki page [48].
    207 
    208   [47] https://people.torproject.org/~erinn/vidalia-standalone-bundles/
    209   [48] https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/doc/TorBrowserBundle3FAQ
    210 
    211 Upcoming events
    212 ---------------
    213 
    214 Jan 13-15 | Tor @ Real World Crypto 2014
    215           | New York City, USA
    216           | https://realworldcrypto.wordpress.com/
    217           |
    218 Jan 14    | Roger @ NSF WATCH Seminar Series
    219           | Arlington, VA, USA
    220           | http://www.nsf.gov/cise/cns/watch/
    221 
    222 
    223 This issue of Tor Weekly News has been assembled by Lunar, Matt Pagan,
    224 dope457, Sandeep, weasel, rey, murb and nicoo.
    225 
    226 Want to continue reading TWN? Please help us create this newsletter.
    227 We still need more volunteers to watch the Tor community and report
    228 important news. Please see the project page [49], write down your
    229 name and subscribe to the team mailing list [50] if you want to
    230 get involved!
    231 
    232   [49] https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/TorWeeklyNews
    233   [50] https://lists.torproject.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/news-team
    234 }}}
     5'''Status:''' [https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-news/2014-January/000027.html Sent]