Table of Contents
The following are lists with subscriber generated threads.
|tor-project||arma, atagar, gamambel||Public||Moderated discussion list for active contributors.|
|tor-talk||arma, atagar, qbi, nickm, griffin||Public||all discussion about theory, design, and development of Onion Routing|
|tor-users||qbi, griffin, gamambel, gunner||Public||General discussion list about the technical aspects of Tor and its subprojects|
|tor-dev||arma, atagar, qbi, nickm||Public||Development related discussion list.|
|tor-onions||teor, dgoulet, asn||Public||technical discussion about running Tor onion (hidden) services|
|tor-relays||arma, atagar, qbi, nickm||Public||Relay operation support.|
|tor-relays-universities||arma, atagar, qbi, nickm||Public||Relay operation related to universities (lightly used).|
|tor-mirrors||arma, atagar, qbi, nickm||Public||Tor website mirror support.|
|tor-teachers||mrphs||Public||Discussion, curriculum sharing, and strategizing for people who teach Tor around the world.|
|ux||mrphs||Public||UX mailing list for discussion about user-experience of Tor products.|
|tor-team||arma, atagar, qbi, nickm||Private||Internal discussion list (externally reachable).|
|tor-internal||arma, atagar, qbi, nickm||Private||Internal discussion list.|
|onionspace-berlin||infinity0, juris, moritz||Private||Discussion list for Onionspace, a hackerspace/office for Tor-affiliated and privacy tools hackers in Berlin.|
|onionspace-seattle||Jon||Private||Discussion list for the Tor-affiliated and privacy tools hackers in Seattle|
The following lists are generally read-only for their subscribers. Traffic is either notifications on specific topics or auto-generated.
|metrics-bugs||karsten||Public||Tor Metrics related bugs.|
|tor-announce||nickm, weasel||Public||Announcement of new Tor releases. Here is an RSS feed.|
|tbb-bugs||helix, gk||Public||Tor Browser Bundle related bugs.|
|tbb-commits||helix, gk||Public||Tor Browser Bundle related commits to Tor repositories.|
|tor-news||harmony||Public||Tor Weekly News|
|tor-bugs||arma, atagar, qbi, nickm||Public||Tor bug tracker.|
|tor-commits||nickm, weasel||Public||Commits to Tor repositories.|
|tor-wiki-changes||nickm, weasel||Public||Changes to the Trac wiki.|
|tor-consensus-health||arma, atagar, qbi, nickm||Public||Alarms for the present status of the Tor network.|
|tor-censorship-events||arma, atagar, qbi, nickm||Public||Alarms for if the number of users from a local disappear.|
|ooni-bugs||andz, art||Public||OONI related bugs status mails|
|tor-svninternal||arma, atagar, qbi, nickm||Private||Commits to the internal SVN.|
The following are private lists with a narrowly defined purpose. Most have a very small membership.
|bad-relays||dgoulet||Private||Discussions about malicious and misconfigured Tor relays.|
|bof||ln5||Private||Board and Officers of Tor Project discussions|
|execdir||arma||Private||Point of contact for the executive director.|
|tor-exec||arma, nickm, wseltzer||Private||Mailing list for the Tor Executive Committee.|
|execdir-support||arma||Private||Support for executive director.|
|funding||isabela, sysrqb, juris||Private||Funding and Fundraising Discussions|
|wtf||nickm, sysrqb, qbi||Private||a wise tech forum for warm tech fuzzies|
|tor-community-team||alison||Private||Community team list|
|tor-research-safety||arma||Private||Discussion list for the Tor research safety board|
|tor-test-network||dgoulet||Private||Discussion regarding the Tor test network|
|vegas-leads||arma, isabela||Private||Vegas team leads coordination email list|
|tor-board||ln5||Private||Tor project board of directors|
|tor-access||mikeperry||Private||Discussion about improving the ability of Tor users to access Cloudflare and other CDN content/sites|
Lists related to subteams within Tor.
|volunteering||atagar||Private||Point of contact for prospective volunteers.|
|dir-auth||arma, atagar, qbi, nickm||Private||Directory authority operators.|
|www-team||arma, atagar, qbi, nickm||Public||Website development (creation ticket).|
|network-team||isabela||Private||Network team discussion list|
|news-team||harmony||Public||Tor Weekly News coordination list.|
|tbb-dev||helix||Public||Tor Browser Bundle development discussion list.|
|tor-gsoc||arma, atagar, qbi, nickm||Private||Google Summer of Code students.|
|tor-qa||helix, Sherief||Public||QA and testing, primarily for TBB.|
|ooni-talk||hellais||Public||Ooni-probe general discussion list.|
|ooni-dev||hellais||Public||Ooni-probe development discussion list.|
|ooni-operators||hellais||Public||OONI mailing list for probe operators.|
|support-team-private||Phoul||Private||Internal discussion list for support@ (link).|
|valencia2016||arma||Private||2016 Winter dev. meeting of the Tor Project in Valencia.|
|hidserv-stats||karsten, syverson||Private||Discussion regarding research on hidden-service related statistics.|
|metrics-team||karsten||Public||Metrics Team discussion list.|
|tor-meeting||arma||Private||dev. meetings of the Tor Project.|
What are our most important lists?
New to Tor? If so then welcome! Our most important lists are as follows...
- tor-talk@ - High traffic general discussion list, useful for general user questions and discussion. The list's lack of moderation is something we're growing to view as a problem, and as such might not be the best place at present.
- tor-dev@ - Discussion list for developers, researchers, and other technical discussions.
- tor-relays@ - Discussion list for relay operators.
- tor-project@ - Discussion list for tor contributors. Only active and past tor contributors can post to this list.
How do I get permission to post to tor-project@
Just ask. Anyone is allowed to watch, but posting is restricted to those that actively want to make Tor better. As long as you're willing to keep your posts constructive just contact Damian.
Note that unlike many of our lists this one is pretty actively moderated, so unconstructive comments may lose you posting permissions. Sorry about that, but this is one list we're striving to keep the noise down on. ;)
How do I ask for a new mailing list?
For general information, look up lists.torproject.org service description.
Creating a new list is easy, but please only request one if you have a good reason. Unused lists will periodically be removed to cut down on bloat. With that out of the way, to request a new list simply file a ticket to the "Internal services/Service - lists" component with the following...
- What is the list name?
- What is the email address of the list maintainer? This person will be given the list's Mailman administrator password, be notified of bounces, and emails to the list owner. If this is a closed list then they'll be responsible for maintaining the membership.
- What is a one sentence description of the list? (see lists.torproject.org for examples)
Lists default to being public and archived. If you would prefer something else then you'll need to change its configuration in Mailman.
Creating lists involves at least two people, so please be patient while your list is being created. Be sure to regularly check the ticket you created for questions by list admins.
Members of tor-internal@ do not require approval for their lists. Non-members will need signoff of Damian or qbi.
In additional to our public email lists Tor maintains a handful of communication channels reserved for core individuals. This is not a secret inner cabal, but rather community members (both paid and unpaid) who have been long-time contributors with the project.
Why do we have these internal discussions? Funding proposals, trip reports, and other things sometimes include details that shouldn't be public. In general though we strongly encourage discussions to happen in public instead.
Note that the following is a living document. Policies are not set in stone, and might change if we find something better.
What are our internal communication channels?
- tor-team@ is an invite-only list that is reachable by the outside world. As such it both used for email CCs, and receives quite a bit of spam.
- tor-internal@ is an invite-only list that is not reachable by the outside world. Some individuals that are especially adverse to spam only subscribe to this one.
- bad-relays@ is an invite-only list that is reachable by the outside world. It is also used for email CCs.
- Our internal IRC channel is used for unofficial real time internal communication.
Encrypted Mailing Lists
We have mailing lists handled by Schleuder for Tor security issues that we use within different teams. Only people subscribed are allowed to post and receive from this mailing list.
- network-team-security@ is for any security issues related to "tor" and is an invite-only list used by the Network Team?
How do I get added?
The process for being added is as follows...
- Meet someone already on tor-internal@ in person. We're at several conferences (CCC, Defcon, PETS, etc) and have a couple developer meetings each year (usually in Europe).
- Contact one of our list maintainers. Presently this is Damian and qbi. Please only do this if you're already relatively well known within the community (list maintainers will say 'nay' if not many tor folks already know you).
- They pass along your request to tor-internal@ asking if there are any objections to your being added. This is not a vote. Rather, any individual can veto the request.
- If there aren't any objections after a few days we'll add you to all the internal channels.