List Of Services Blocking Tor
The Tor community maintains the following three lists (RBL blocks, Blocking software, and Individual blocks) as part of the DontBlockMe project.
- CDN - A CDN is a content delivery network: these are networks that websites use to serve high amounts of traffic to their clients. CDNs can be geographically distributed to provide "local" copies of web content to people worldwide.
- Exit relay - This is a Tor relay that exits traffic onto the plain Internet. All Tor traffic (though not when using hidden services) appears to originate from these exit relays.
- Non-exit relay - A Tor relay that does not act as an exit relay. A non-exit relay does not originate any traffic other than to other Tor relays and thus there is no necessary reason for services to block traffic from them. Guard and middle relays are the two types of non-exit relays, and many non-exit relays act as both types at the same time.
- TCP RST - The TCP reset (or reject) is a way to gracefully close connections. Many services/software to block Tor traffic may block by explicitly closing the connection instead of ignoring the traffic.
- TCP timeout - A TCP timeout is another way to block Tor traffic on the protocol- or routing-level, however it involves silently ignoring the traffic instead of rejecting it.
List of RBL Blocking Services
An RBL is a "realtime blackhole list" which is a DNS query-based list used to tag IP addresses as being malicious or as being an origin of spam. Due to the inability to filter or monitor Tor user behavior across the entire network, many Tor exit relay IPs will be marked as threatening (even indiscriminately) which means many legitimate web surfers will be incidentally included in such blocks. This is a subproject to routinely search for and clear Tor relay nodes from RBL and RBL-like lists.
- [URL] - Description of service/list, threat detection and consequences for Tor users
- http://www.abuseat.org/ - Composite Blocking List (CBL) - A Division of SPAMHAUS. By policy, TOR nodes cannot be removed from the CBL list. - Thus, the exact reason for being listed can no longer be established by the individual Tor .Exit Relay operator. Consequently, trying to effectively handle any 'abuse' issues being unfortunately perpetrated from an individual Tor .Exit Relay has become increasingly difficult or impossible when referencing this resource.
- https://akismet.com/ - Blog comment spam protection. (Note: Previously this entry was "askimet.com", a misspelled version of "akismet" that redirected to the official site. It is not known whether this was a typo or a malicious website. Edited 10/5/2016)
- https://www.blocked.com/ - Web request blocker against proxies and anonymity networks. The site itself is not available over Tor.
- http://blogspam.net/ - Blog and forum content spam protection.
- https://www.dan.me.uk/dnsbl - Blocklist designed to identify all Tor relays, even ones that do not exit traffic. There are both a list for exit relays as well as for all relays, though the provider does warn against using the list of all relays. The site itself is not available over Tor.
- https://www.norse-corp.com/ - Web and networking protection including IP blocking.
- https://www.projecthoneypot.org/ - Honeypot for e-mail harvesters by listing unique e-mail addresses on web pages.
- https://recaptcha.net/ - the CAPTCHAs given are, on occasion, very difficult and timed [last check: 2015-11-21]
- http://stopforumspam.com/ - IP-based blocking service based on forum and blog spam. The site itself is available from some Tor Exits, but not others (403 Forbidden). [last check: 2015-09-15, 1/10 Exits Blocked]
List Of Software Used To Block Tor
A listing of the software that has been identified as being used by the services listed below. This can present via another avenue to accomplish the goals of the DontBlockMe project. The format is:
- [URL] - How to identify the blocking software when used by a service
- http://akamai.com/ Fifa.com, tdbank.com, expedia.com, www.ecb.europa.eu, discussions.apple.com seem to be using Akamai and use some sort of configuration that blocks Tor (not all Akamai sites block Tor). Akamai blocks usually present with a basic page saying "Access Denied" and a 'reference' note like "Reference #18..." You can definitively confirm whether a site uses the Akamai CDN by running a WHOIS on the site's domain and looking for akam.net nameservers. Akamai report on Tor traffic.
- http://www.bluehost.com/ - Web hosting company. Block page has the phrase "If you feel this is in error please contact your hosting provider's abuse department".
- https://www.cloudflare.com/ - Announces itself as Cloudflare. Blog post on Tor: http://blog.cloudflare.com/the-trouble-with-tor/.
- https://www.incapsula.com/ - Announces itself as Incapsula. Blog post on Tor: https://www.incapsula.com/blog/tor-does-not-equal-deny-access.html.
- Convio/Blackbaud - A web host for various nonprofits. Blocks Tor specifically, returning an HTTP 501 error: "Not Implemented Tor IP not allowed". A traceroute leads to a subdomain of convio.net. http://www.adl.org/ is one affected site [last check: 2015-07-15].
- Distil Networks - Anti-scraping company. Serves a captcha or block page with a form to request unblocking. Sample block pages: http://www.distilnetworks.com/distil_r_captcha.html, http://www.distilnetworks.com/distil_r_blocked.html, #Distil #Distil. Also at https://www.distil.it/. Blog post on Tor: http://resources.distilnetworks.com/h/i/246101200-cloudflare-vs-tor-is-ip-blocking-causing-more-harm-than-good/181642.
How to unblock Tor users
If you run a web site on Cloudflare, and you don't want Tor users to see captchas, then whitelist the "T1" country code in the Access Rules of the Cloudflare Firewall app. See this article for more information.
Field guide to common block pages
Access Denied You don't have permission to access "%websitename%" on this server. Reference #[\d\.a-f]+
Akamai is a CDN.
Bad Behavior is an antispam PHP plugin.
Not implemented Tor IP not allowed.
Blackbaud does web hosting for nonprofits.
One more step Please complete the security check to access %websitename%
Cloudflare is a CDN.
Access To Website Blocked
Distil Networks is an anti-bot/anti-scraping company. They also have challenge pages that are less severe than this block page (which has status code 456).
List Of Services Blocking Tor
Services should be listed if:
- They display a written policy that prohibits "Tor" specifically by name.
- They display a written policy prohibiting proxies, VPNs, open/free networks, travelers, etc.
- The text of an error message indicates "Tor", anonymous proxies, etc.
- After testing with "signal NEWNYM / New Identity / MAPADDRESS", access and/or full use via Tor is found to be consistently problematic (defined as affecting at least 80% of all exits).
The list is formatted in alphabetical service groupings as follows:
- URL of service - nature of block: complete, account creation, read-only, random breakage, etc. [last check: <current date in YYYY-MM-DD>]
Attention: Please be aware, that this page itself (https://trac.torproject.org) does block Tor traffic for registration and editing by showing very hard to read captchas.
- Banking / Finance
- Blogs ( by engine )
- Computing / Technical
- Forums / Imageboards
- Government services / Publicly-funded resources
- Health / Medical
- Image Hosting
- IRC / SIP / XMPP / "non-web" network communication services and messaging
- Mail services
- News media
- Search engines
- Social networking
- Utilities ( Electric / Gas / Water / Telecom / TV / Internet )
The current list is as follows...
Banking / Finance
- https://secure.bankofamerica.com - Partial block, site works but impossible to log in. Returns "We did not recognize the Online ID you entered" for valid ID's.
- https://bitcointalk.org/ - Registration may require up to US$5. [last check: 2015-01-04]
- https://www.bitstamp.net/ - "This request was blocked by the security rules." [last check: 2015-03-17]
- https://buttercoin.com/ - Block page: "VPN or Tor connections are prohibited."; Cloudflare 522 returned from the IP of a non-exit node [last check: 2015-09-17]
- https://www.chase.com/ - Does not block Tor, but always asks for verification (email, text or phone call) when using Tor.
- https://www.commbank.com.au/personal/ and other Commonwealth Bank Australia help pages are blocked (Akami), but online banking at http://netbank.com.au/ works fine. [last check: 2016-02-23]
- https://www.tdbank.com/ - Blocks Tor, but doesn't always recognize Tor exit nodes. (Akamai) [last check: 2015-01-04]
- https://investor.vanguard.com - Blocks Tor - blank page, no error [last check: 2015-04-27]
Blogs ( by engine )
- http://rankexploits.com/ - "TOR detected" (ZB Block), blocks even after solving captcha. [last check: 2015-03-18]
- https://www.typepad.com/ (and subdomains) - Returns a custom 403 page, which is misleadingly labeled 404 [last check: 2016-06-05]
- http://www.thebeatlesrarity.com/ - "Access has been blocked. Your IP [126.96.36.199] is found at Project Honey Pot . If you feel this is incorrect please contact them. Protected by: AVH First Defense Against Spam"
Business-to-User / Retail Shopping
- http://www.adverts.ie/ - TCP timeout (hosted by hosting365.ie) [last check: 2015-03-17]
- http://www.autotrader.com/ - We're sorry for any inconvenience, currently unavailable [last check: 2016-05-31]
- http://www.autozone.com/ - "Access Denied" (Akamai) [last check: 2015-03-17]
- http://www.ba.com/ http://www.britishairways.com - "The requested URL was rejected." It was blocking non-exits from about May to September 2016 (ref: mailing list post). [last check: 2016-09-10]
- http://www.barnesandnoble.com/ & http://bn.com (redirect to first) - "The requested URL was rejected."; "This page is unavailable for viewing, due to geographic or other restrictions in place at this time. Please try again later, as the restrictions may be lifted." returned for at least one non-exit node IP address. [last check: 2015-09-17]
- Baskin-Robbins (ice cream) - blocked with "Access Denied" (Akamai) [last check: 2016-12-12]
- Ben & Jerry's (ice cream) - blocked with "Access Denied" (Akamai) [last check: 2016-12-07]
- http://www.bestbuy.com/ - "Access Denied" (Akamai) [last check: 2015-03-17]
- Breyer's (ice cream) - blocked with "Access Denied (Akamai)" [last check: 2016-12-12]
- http://www.carsdirect.com/ - Blank Page never loads [last check: 2016-05-31]
- https://www.craigslist.org/ - "This IP has been automatically blocked. If you have questions, please email..." [last check: 2015-09-04].
- http://www.daft.ie/ - TCP timeout (hosted by hosting365.ie) [last check: 2015-03-17]
- https://www.etsy.com/ - Blank page [last check: 2015-09-04]
- https://www.expedia.com/ - "Access Denied" (Akamai) [last check: 2015-03-17]
- http://www.fieldandstream.com/ - Your IP is listed in the StopForumSpam database.[last check: 2016-06-30]
- http://www.fullsailbrewing.com/ - TCP Timeout from non-exit node IPs. [last check: 2015-09-17]
- https://www.hyatt.com/ - "Access Denied" (Akamai) [last check: 2016-07-13]
- http://www.hyundaiusa.com/ - Your request has been blocked. (tiqcdn.com) [last check: 2016-05-31]
- http://www.kohls.com/ - "Access Denied" (Akamai).
Also from non-exit node.[last check: 2015-03-17; non-exits seem fine as of 2015-01-04 (and 2015-09-17)]
- http://www.lowes.com/ - "Access Denied" (Akamai) [last check: 2016-05-09]
- https://www.lufthansa.com/ - Access Denied (Akamai). [last check: 2016-02-25]
- [netflix.com] - "Proxy error (code S7111-1331-5059)". From non-exit node. Blockage confirmed by support. [last check: 2016-03-03]
- http://www.nashbar.com/ - "Access Denied" (Akamai) [last check: 2016-05-31]
- https://www.nike.com/ - "Access Denied" (Akamai) [last check: 2016-05-09]
- http://nolo.com/ - "Unable to connect TCP Time-out" [last check: 2016-05-03]
- https://www.officedepot.com/ - "We're Sorry. We are unable to process your last request" [last check: 2015-03-17]
- http://www.outdoorlife.com/ - Your IP is listed in the StopForumSpam database.[last check: 2016-06-30]
- https://www.overstock.com/ - TCP timeout
- https://pizza.de - "Access Denied" (Akamai) - [last check: 2015-09-04]
- https://www.qantas.com/ - "Access Denied" (Akamai), both HTTP and HTTPS - [last check: 2016-02-21]
- http://www.rent.ie/ - TCP timeout (hosted by hosting365.ie) [last check: 2015-03-17]
- http://www.retailmenot.com/ - "Request Forbidden - Access to RetailMeNot from your current location has been blocked" [last check: 2015-07-02]
- http://www.riteaid.com/ - "Thank you we were not able to process your request" [last check: 2016-05-31]
- http://www.sportsmansguide.com/ - Access Denied. (Akamai) [last check: 2016-06-30]
- https://play.spotify.com/ - Partial block, for free accounts, site comes up but message states "Your country does not match the one set in your profile". Premium accounts work.
- https://www.staples.com/ - "Access Denied" (Akamai) [last check: 2015-03-18]
- https://www.stubhub.com/ - "Access Denied" (Akamai) [last check: 2015-03-18]
- https://www.taxact.com/ - Ignores traffic, even from non-exit relays - "ERR_CONNECTION_RESET" [last check: 2016-05-22]
- https://www.ticketmaster.com/ - "Forbidden" [last check: 2015-03-18]
- 2015-03-17 - http://www.tigerdirect.com/ -
"Blocked Request", siteissues@…?subject=Blocked+RequestWorks fine 2015-03-17, Not working again 2016-01-30
- http://www.totalwine.com/ - Application firewall error, Your request has been blocked. [last check: 2016-06-30]
- https://www.victoriassecret.com/ - Ambiguous "File not found" [last check: 2015-09-04]
- http://walmart.com/ - "Access Denied" (Akamai) [last check: 2016-05-03]
Business-to-Business / Commerce and Industry / Advertising
- http://www.bizjournals.com - "Access to Website Blocked" (Distil). [last check: 2016-03-18]
- CrunchBase - "Access To Website Blocked" (Distil) - A database for TechCrunch, an online publisher of technology industry news. TechCrunch is not blocked. [last check: 2016-03-18]
- Google Analytics - After login they can't grant access: "IP tied to OFAC list. http://www.ustreas.gov/offices/enforcement/ofac/". Tor relays affected, even ones in the US.
- http://manta.com - "Access to Website Blocked" (Distil). [last check: 2016-03-18]
- http://fordfoundation.org/ - Cloudflare hard block (1009): "The owner of this website (www.fordfoundation.org) has banned the country or region your IP address is in (TOR) from accessing this website."
Computing / Technical
- Certain Apple.com sites:
- https://getsupport.apple.com/ - "Access Denied." (Akamai), blocks sporadically [last check: 2015-06-10]
- https://support.apple.com/ - "Access Denied" (Akamai), blocks sporadically, block includes non-exit relay IPs. [last check: 2015-06-21]
- https://discussions.apple.com/ - "Access Denied" but sporadically blocking (Akamai) [last check: 2015-04-02]
- https://www.box.com/ - Can access the site but not login or sign up
- https://forum.cyanogenmod.org/ - "Sorry, you don't have permission for that!" [last check: 2015-03-11]
- https://action.eff.org/ - "403 Forbidden" (nginx) [last check: 2016-05-26]
- http://www.emergingthreats.net (Snort rules) - Redirects to https://www.proofpoint.com/emergingthreatsnet/, an Incapsula block page: "Error code 16. This request was blocked by the security rules." [last check: 2015-03-16]
- https://flagfox.net/forum/ - "No soup for you! It looks like you have been flagged as a spammer."
- https://www.fossamail.org/ - "One more step" (Cloudflare)
- https://github.com/ - Deletes the accounts created via Tor after some time with all associated information. May be it is an effect of temporary mail.
- https://forums.informaction.com/ - the official forum of NoScript trolls the users trying to sign up via Tor with the message, that the recaptcha was incorrect (even if recaptcha gave the string the user have to paste into the box) [last check: 2015-11-21]. Note: The "cypherpunks" account was banned after I have signed in it through Tor (I haven't written anything using it, just tested, if it is present).
- https://www.linuxquestions.org/ - "Error 403" (Bad Behavior), blocks registration through Tor, but claims to allow unblocking by logging in. [last check: 2016-05-05]
- https://talk.maemo.org and https://wiki.maemo.org - blocked completely; discussion here - [last check: 2015-08-08]
- http://www.manux.info/ - Votre connexion internet dispose d'une adresse IP interdite. Cela peut indiquer que vous utilisez un proxy web, ou une adresse IP listee comme malveillante aupres de nos serveurs.
- http://geolite.maxmind.com/download/geoip/database/GeoLiteCountry/GeoIP.dat.gz and http://geolite.maxmind.com/download/geoip/database/GeoIPv6.dat.gz - The company MaxMind provides these databases for use in a GeoIP package that determines a user's IP geo-location. Tor-connected systems are unable to use it, receiving a "Forbidden" code. Maxmind says they can't be bothered to look into why these are blocked; they recommended StackOverflow.com for "technical support". In one correspondence they recommended changing host to geoip.maxmind.com as a workaround, but they also insist this is not the recommended location.
- https://www.moonchildproductions.info/ - "One more step" (Cloudflare)
- Certain Mozilla & Firefox sites:
- https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/ - Blocks account creation via Tor (requesting an account via email still works)
- https://accounts.firefox.com/ and by consequence https://addons.mozilla.org/ uses 3rd party cookies in a way torbrowser does not permit. By consequence login ("Invalid token") and password reset ("Reset password link expired" within two minutes) fail. Problem confirmed by friendly firefox.com sysadmins on channel #fxa of irc.mozilla.org. - [last check: 2016-01-11]
- https://www.namecheap.com/ -
Blocked harshly by Cloudflare. If you're extremely lucky, you can access only 3 times.Serves you a Cloudflare captcha, you solve it, want to login, then it just returns "The password does not match the user account or the account does not exist. Please verify both the user name and password and try again." [last check: 2015-01-24]
- https://www.palemoon.org/ - "One more step" (Cloudflare)
- https://pastebin.com/ - Certain exit IPs are blocked completely, even from reading the site. The unsecured version of the page (http://pastebin.com) works without any restriction [last check: 2015-08-08]
- https://www.proofpoint.com/ - "Error code 15. This request was blocked by the security rules." [last check: 2016-06-04]
- https://www.random.org/ - The site is very suspicious of Tor addresses: it always presents Cloudflare captchas, and requires multiple challenges to be solved in quick succession to verify the Tor user is human. The site can still be accessed if all the challenges are solved correctly. [last check: 2016-02-11]
- https://secunia.com/ - "Forbidden! We have registered this IP Address (x.x.x.x) as being a robot. Secunia does not allow content leaching robots on our website thus this IP address has been banned."
- http://www.slingbox.com/ - TCP timeout (including non-exit relay IPs) [last check: 2015-09-17]
- https://statuspage.io/ - "Your IP address x.x.x.x has been flagged as a scanner. Scanners are not permitted. If you are seeing this message in error, please contact security@…." [last check: 2015-05-30]
- http://www.xprivacy.eu/ and https://crowd.xprivacy.eu/ -
Resource site for XPrivacy Android app: ironically blocks Tor and other "spammers" at firewall level; administrator refuses to allow Tor visitors even just to read the website. (github ticket)It appears that the Tor block has been lifted--at least for reading privileges. It is not known whether writing privileges are possible over Tor, though writing is much less important. [last check: 2015-03-19]
- https://dl.acm.org/ - ACM Digital Library: "403 Error - Access Forbidden" "...we have temporarily restricted your access to the Digital Library. Your activity appears to be coming from some type of automated process. To ensure the availability of the Digital Library we can not allow these types of requests to continue. The restriction will be removed automatically once this activity stops." [last check: 2015-10-04]
- http://www.apa.org/ - "Access To Website Blocked" (Distil) from 9/10 Tor Exits, including the American Psychological Association's journals. [last check: 2016-03-18]
- http://arxiv.org/ - some operations sometimes result in an error, depending on your exit. For example, "Access Denied. Sadly, you do not currently appear to have permission to access http://arxiv.org/find. If you believe this determination to be in error, see http://arxiv.org/denied.html for additional information." [last check: 2015-08-05]
- http://attainmentcompany.com/ - Augmentative & Alternative Communication software & device maker; appears to be returning TCP Timeout for non-exit nodes. [last check: 2015-09-15]
- http://www.austlii.edu.au/ - AustLII (Australasian Legal Information Institute) website refuses connections from Tor Exits, but other IP addresses work fine. "A joint facility of UTS and UNSW Faculties of Law" [last check: 2015-09-16]
- https://cltc.berkeley.edu/ - various forms do an AJAX POST that appears to stall forever. In the background it is receiving a response with status 200: "Access Denied. You have been blocked due to suspicious activity. If you believe this is in error, please email help@ischool/>. Allow Request. You have been blocked from entering information on this blog. In order to prevent this from happening in the future you may ask the owner to add your network address to a list that allows you full access." When I emailed help@ischool about it, they cited the stopforumspam.com database as a reason for blocking the IP, and "considering that this is a cybersecurity website, it would not be a wise choice to unblock that IP address." [last check: 2016-01-28]
- http://www.disneyjunior.com/ - iPad and iPhone App IP blocked, "International Agreements/Cannot view outside the US". Customer service confirms IP is "Known Anonymizing Proxy Address". Blocks non-exit relay IPs.
- http://www.gotw.ca/ - "The requested URL was rejected."; TCP timeout returned to non-exit relay IP [last check: 2015-09-17]
- https://www.gutenberg.org/ - Error 403: "Don't use anonymizers, open proxies, VPNs, or TOR to access Project Gutenberg." (Most but not all exits) [last check: 2016-05-20] For an alternative download site, try https://archive.org/details/gutenberg.
- http://adsabs.harvard.edu/ - "ADS Access Denied" custom 403 that mentions Project Honeypot. [last check: 2016-07-20]
- http://ibiblio.org/ and subdomains - timeout. [last check: 2017-01-07]
- http://www.ieeelcn.org/ (IEEE Conference on Local Computer Networks) - timeout. [last check: 2016-05-24]
- http://www.justanswer.com/ - "Access Denied" (Akamai) [last check: 2015-04-02]
- http://www.lirrhistory.com/ - "The requested URL was rejected. If you think this is an error, please contact the webmaster."; TCP timeout returned to non-exit relay IP [last check: 2015-09-17]
- http://sites.nationalacademies.org/ - timeout [last check: 2016-07-13]
- http://www.ohsu.edu/ - Blocked from non-exit relay IPs. [last check: 2015-01-23]
- http://www.planetary.org/ - Not Implemented Tor IP not allowed (Convio/Blackbaud) [last check: 2015-10-04]
- http://www.popsci.com/ - "You are receiving this error message because your ip (x.x.x.x) is listed in the StopForumSpam.com database." [last check: 2015-11-25]
- http://www.questbridge.org/ - QuestBridge homepage refuses connections from Tor Exits, but the "Apply" subpage blocks all Tor nodes.
- https://study.com/ - "403 Forbidden" returned when accessing any page. [last check: 2016-09-29]
- Wikimedia projects including https://wikipedia.org/ - Reading free and supported; can also edit, after email request
- http://wikitravel.org/ - TCP timeout, even from non-exit IPs [confirmation?]. [last check: 2015-03-18]
- wiley.com - When trying to see or download a paper "Access to Wiley Online Library has been temporarily suspended at your institution. Your library and other administrators are working with Wiley to resolve this issue as quickly as possible. Please contact your library to see if there are alternative means of accessing the content you require (such as via on-campus access). We apologize for the inconvenience." [last check: 2016-04-10]
Forums / Imageboards
- http://4chan.org/ - "Permanently banned from all boards: Proxy/Tor exit node." - Read-only allowed, posting blocked.
- http://www.albumartexchange.com/ - "www.albumartexchange.com is protected by BlockScript. Your request was blocked because you appear to be accessing this website from a Tor exit node." [last check: 2015-04-27]
- https://arstechnica.com "Uh oh - it looks like your IP address or email has been reported by another forum system as a source of spam. Ars Technica uses StopForumSpam to keep our forums and comments clear of unwanted solicitations and malware. In order to register as an Ars Technica user, you will need to first clear up the issue with StopForumSpam. You can do that by filling out their handy contact form and explaining your situation." [last check: 2016-04-29]
- http://bash.org/ - timeout. [last check: 2016-12-18]
- http://www.boards.ie/ - TCP Connection timeout (also bans known VPN services) [last check: 2015-01-04]
- https://drugs-forum.com/ - "Error 403" (Bad Behavior) returned when accessing any page [last check: 2015-04-27]
- https://www.jeuxvideo.com/ - "Votre adresse IP a été bloquée." - Read-only, can't subscribe or log in. [last check: 2015-05-01]
- http://knowyourmeme.com/ - looks custom: "Your ip address 188.8.131.52 has been banned. If you think this is a mistake then please contact bans@… immediately and make sure to include your ip address." [last check: 2016-02-13]
- http://www.marioboards.com/ - connection timeout. Possibly related to the www.mariowiki.com block (which is also a timeout) [last check: 2016-12-16]
- https://stackexchange.com/ and subservices like https://stackoverflow.com/ and https://tor.stackexchange.com/ - you can read questions, but doing a search sometimes results in: "Human Verification: Are you a human being? We apologize for the confusion, but we can't quite tell if you're a person or a script. Please don't take this personally. Bots and scripts can be remarkably lifelike these days!" with a Google captcha. It looks like the error page is always available at https://stackoverflow.com/nocaptcha. [last check: 2015-08-05]
- https://alphagamers.net/ - redirects to https://blocked.alphagamers.net/, a custom 200: "BLOCKED YOUR 7 PROXIES." [last check: 2016-08-01]
- http://www.gamefaqs.com/ -
"Blocked IP Address - Tor Exit Node" [last check: 2015-03-18]Very recently GameFAQs appears to have explicitly lifted the block for visitors using Tor; sign-up and messaging is still prohibited (according to this page). [last check: 2016-02-20]
- http://www.go4go.net/ - "Sorry, 184.108.40.206 has been banned." Some exit nodes work. [last check: 2016-03-13]
- http://www.minecraftskins.com/ - "One more step" (Cloudflare) [last check: 2016-12-10]
- http://nintendo.com/ (and possibly all subsites?) - "This page can't be displayed. If you feel that you've received this message in error, please send the error ID to secalerts@…. The error ID is..." Status code 200. [last check: 2016-12-10]
- Steam, Steam Community - Several reports of users having their accounts banned or restricted permanently, which generally means new products cannot be purchased and the person is no longer permitted to talk to friends or post in Steam discussions and boards. (references: 2015-03-15 and 2015-01-13)
- Steam Users' Forums - "Sorry. The administrator has banned your IP address." [last check: 2015-03-18]
Government services / Publicly-funded resources
- Wiener Krankenanstaltenverbund (Wien KAV) - TCP timeout [last check: 2015-03-18]
- Estonian Police and Border Guard - TCP timeout [last check: 2015-03-17]
- European Central Bank (ECB) - 403 (Akamai custom error); email support stopped replying [when?] at the mention of Tor, didn't (dis)confirm
- https://www.expresstoll.com/ - Ignores traffic, even from non-exit relays - "ERR_CONNECTION_RESET" [last check: 2016-03-27]
- http://anything.gov All the GOV sites are blocking TOR - Time out exceeded 2016-05-03
- https://www.healthcare.gov/ - "Access Denied" (Akamai) [last check: 2016-01-30]
- https://www.senate.gov/ - "Access Denied" (Akamai), also to all sites in second-level domain. [first check: 2015-07-04; last check: 2016-09-19]
- http://www.fisc.uscourts.gov/ - Ambiguous "404" when using Tor [last check: 2015-01-04]
- https://www.usmint.gov/ - "Error: This page can't be displayed." [last check: 2016-01-30]
- Public national passenger and freight train operator in Italy - TCP timeout [last check: 2015-03-18]
- https://www.usps.com/ - "Access Denied" (Akamai) [last check: 2015-09-04]
- Andalusian Regional Government of Spain (SANDETEL - AS34285, 220.127.116.11/20) - inaccessible via Tor (blocked on TCP/IP level -> timeout), even when accessing as non-exit (entry/middle) node. Many *.es sites are located there. A few examples:
Health / Medical
- http://www.everydayhealth.com/ - "Error: This page can't be displayed. Contact support for additional information. The incident ID is: N/A." [last check: 2017-01-17]
- https://imgur.com/ - "We're really sorry, but uploading from the Tor network has been disabled. Please disable Tor and try uploading again." Blocks uploading, allows browsing.
IRC / SIP / XMPP / "non-web" network communication services and messaging
For information specific to IRC, see Blocking IRC
- https://kiwiirc.com/client - "Error Connecting (DNSBL blocked (18.104.22.168))" [last check: 2016-03-09]
- https://webchat.oftc.net/ - "== ERROR: Anonymous TOR usage is unavailable" [last check: 2016-03-09]
- Skype - Login attempts via a Tor exit node are rejected (since 2013, see list and blog): load icon spins forever; experience shows it can take ~6 weeks for a new exit node to be blacklisted
- irc.mozilla.org - "Looking up your hostname... You're banned! ERROR :Closing link: (unknown@...) [Z-Lined: Tor exit server detected]" [last check: 2017-01-11]
- https://gmail.com/ - Sometimes blocks POP3 via Tor (forces password changes/phone verification after "suspicious" logins)
- https://inbox.com/ - Browser: 'Connection was interrupted' for signup or login
- http://mailinator.com/ - TCP/80 connect timeout but works with SSL/TLS: use https://mailinator.com/ instead
- http://mail.walla.co.il/, http://mail.walla.com/ - Serves a 404 [last check: 2015-07-16]. Other subdomains such as http://news.walla.co.il/ are okay.
- http://www.broadsheet.ie/ - TCP timeout [last check: 2015-03-18]
- https://www.foxnews.com/ - "Access Denied" (Akamai) [last check: 2015-09-04]
- http://hackernews.org/ - Cloudflare captcha presented [last check: 2016-01-30]
- https://news.ycombinator.com/ - You can't create an account.
- http://www.usnews.com - "Access Denied" (Akamai) [last check: 2016-05-31]
- http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com - "Access Denied" (Akamai) [last check: 2016-05-31]
- http://www.actorsequity.org/ - "This request is blocked by the SonicWALL Gateway Geo IP Service. Country Name:Anonymous Proxy." [last check: 2016-09-17]
- http://www.azlyrics.com/ - Site consistently is not accessible over Tor (TCP RST) for some unknown reason. This seems rather bizarre for a lyrics database site, assuming blocking the Tor connections is intentional. [last check: 2016-02-15]
- https://www.ecosia.org/ - Returns "404 Not Found" but non-Tor IPs can access it.
- https://www.google.com/ - Almost always shows the message "403. That’s an error. Your client does not have permission to get URL /sorry/IndexRedirect?continue=". Otherwise shows a captcha before permitting searching. In most cases after you have solved a captcha it will give you infinite chain of captchas. If the first attempt failed, change identity and try again. [last check: 2016-03-30]
- https://www.yahoo.com/ - Yahoo temporarily blocks IPs sending too many queries. No workaround provided.
Communities / Friends / Interests
- https://www.airbnb.com/ - Partial block. Impossible to log in, some pages return Error code: 503
- http://www.avito.ru/ - Blank page.
- https://www.chess.com/ - "We were unable to create your account. Please contact support to resolve this issue."
- https://ello.co/ - "You've been blocked from accessing Ello. Oh no! Why me? Your recent actions have triggered our force field to protect Ello from online attacks. There are several actions that could trigger this, including submitting a certain word or phrase, a SQL command or malformed data." HTTP status is "416 Request Range Not Satisfiable" (wtf?). Appears to use Distil Networks for blocking. Direct link to block page: https://ello.co/distil_r_blocked.html. [last check: 2015-10-04]
- https://forums.freebsd.org/ TCP timeouts, explicit rejects (TCP RST) and even works sometimes. [last check: 2016-06-18]
- https://furaffinity.net/ Complete block. "Your IP address has been banned. Reason: Known TOR exit node." However, whatever list of exit nodes they're using seems to be pretty outdated, so it's very roughly 50/50 on whether you'll actually encounter that block or not.
- http://www.godlikeproductions.com/ - "Sorry, ip address has been banned"
- http://klinkk.com/ - "This request has been denied for security reasons. If you believe this was in error, please contact support."
- http://mibbit.com/ - Closing Link: IP Z:Lined Tor exit server detected. torexit.dan.me.uk
- https://www.pinterest.com/ - Error message after logging in. [when?]
- https://twitter.com/signup - "Signup Denied, use Android/iPhone app on your phone instead."
- https://yelp.com/ - "Sorry, you're not allowed to access this page." (also for other top level domains like yelp.de) [last check: 2015-08-08]
- https://www.pof.com/ - Periodic process may delete user after a while (hour to days) if geoIP does not match profile location, and for other reasons possibly related to IP. Try contacting csr@… and post any results to tor-talk.
- https://linkedin.com/ - You need to pass an image test before login, after which a login email validation is required. Might block completely due to "unusual traffic from your network connection." [last check: 2015-03-18]
- http://www.fifa.com/ - "Access Denied" (Akamai) [last check: 2015-03-18]
- http://www.foxsports.com/ - "Access Denied" (Akamai) [last check: 2015-06-26]
Utilities ( Electric / Gas / Water / Telecom / TV / Internet )
- http://randomdatagenerator.com/ - Bad Behavior [last check: 2016-05-19]
- http://www.411.com/ - "Access To Website Blocked" (Distil) upon access. [last check: 2016-06-14]
- https://www.phonedetective.com/ - "403 - Forbidden" upon accessing site sometimes [last check: 2015-07-07]
- http://www.reversephonelookup.org/ - "One more step" (Cloudflare). [last check: 2016-05-09]
- https://https://www.twilio.com/ - "Access Denied - You don't have permissions to access https://twillio.com/ on this server - Reference #<long string containing an id]"
- https://www.whitepages.com/ - "Access To Website Blocked" (Distil) upon search. [last check: 2016-03-18]
TV / Video
- https://www.directv.com/ - "Access Denied" (Akamai) [last check: 2015-03-18]
- http://www.hulu.com/ - Video playback is blocked even from non-exit relay IPs. [when?]
- https://www.vevo.com/ - Consistently redirects Tor connections to http://comingsoon.vevo.com/ with the message "Oops! This page is currently unavailable in your region.", making the site effectively unviewable over Tor. [last check: 2017-01-19]
Service blocked (cannot view over Tor):
- http://www.dkwiki.com/ - timeout. [last check: 2016-12-16]
- http://dragon-quest.org/ - "Access denied. Your IP address is blacklisted. If you feel this is in error please contact your hosting provider's abuse department." [last check: 2016-12-16]
- http://www.pikminwiki.com/ and http://fanon.pikminwiki.com/ - timeout. [last check: 2016-12-16]
- http://www.mariowiki.com/ - timeout. Possibly related to the www.marioboards.com block (which is also a timeout) [last check: 2016-12-16]
- http://www.ssbwiki.com/ - timeout. [last check: 2016-12-16]
- http://starfywiki.org/ - "403 - Forbidden" (by "Stop Forum Spam") [last check: 2016-12-16]
Service open (can view and edit over Tor):
- http://strategywiki.org/ - Appears to allow editing over Tor (null edits aren't rejected). Doesn't seem to mention Tor. [last check: 2016-12-16]
- http://www.wikihow.com/ - Appears to allow editing over Tor (null edits aren't rejected). No mention of Tor in their policy. [last check: 2016-12-15]
- https://translate.google.com/ - "Your client does not have permission to get URL / from this server. (Client IP address: )" [last check: 2016-12-29]
List of formerly listed services
These were formerly listed in the above list, but someone (you) found that they now seem to work "more often than not" and thus moved them here adding the move date (do not remove the original reason for listing). Once listed here, other readers will check them from time to time. If they are still blocking "more often than not", feel free to move them back into the lists above. If they've been on this list for over a year, feel free to remove them as apparently having been a temporary IP block, not a complete class-based (Tor/VPN/Proxy) block. Listings older than 3 months should probably be removed.
- [YYYY-MM-DD listed - URI - original reason, delisting notes]
- 2015-03-18 -
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/ = States not in the UK even from non-exit relay IPs. (BBC says they are trying to fix this problem since 10/2014 still not working 2/2015)It seems to work from UK-based exit nodes, which is actually surprising since it's trivial to "be" in the UK when you're using Tor. Then again, it's not like YouTube blocks Tor users despite the fact that Tor can be used to "be" anywhere and bypass regional blocks. It's probably in their best interest to not block Tor at least unless content providers become angry over regional bypassing. Perhaps we should have a new category just for content providers that are blocking for regional purposes and not for "security" reasons.
- 2015-03-17 - http://facebook.com/ -
Login puts account in validation required mode, if no phone number associated, may lose forever.Facebook offers an "experimental" .onion since October 2014 so this should relieve problems, at least when accessing it from its onion address.
- 2015-03-18 - https://www.napaonline.com/ - "Access To Website Blocked" (Distil). Checking on 2016-03-18, the site is no longer on Distil, and doesn't block Tor.
- https://archive.org/upload/ -
Uploading with the in-browser uploader gives "There is a network problem. 403 Forbidden (details)." Clicking "(details)" doesn't do anything. [last check: 2016-07-03]It seems the problem has to do with third-party cookies. Unchecking "Restrict third party cookies and other tracking data" in Privacy and Security Settings allows the uploader to work. [last check: 2016-08-30]
- 2016-08-06 - https://www.twitch.tv - "You have been blocked from using Twitch. Please visit the Support Center for more information on why you may have been banned." Accessible on 2016-11-19.
(10.9 KB) -
added by dcf 15 months ago.
Akamai block page, 2015-10-22.
(29.6 KB) -
added by dcf 15 months ago.
Bad Behavior block page, 2015-10-22.
(1.9 KB) -
added by dcf 15 months ago.
Blackbaud block page, 2015-10-22.
(7.8 KB) -
added by dcf 15 months ago.
Bluehost block page, 2015-10-22.
(13.1 KB) -
added by dcf 15 months ago.
CloudFlare block page, 2015-10-22.
(5.7 KB) -
added by dcf 10 months ago.
Distil "Access to Website Blocked" screenshot.
Download all attachments as: .zip