wiki:org/meetings/2017Montreal/Notes/CommunityTeam/CommunityTeamMeeting

community team meeting

  • Thank you for agreeing to have the meeting in English!
  • Introductions:
    • Alison is community team lead, working on support faq / portal. Outreach in non-fvey countries.
    • Outreach in majority world is on the plan for the next 6 months, essential for Tor. Also relay operator support.
  • Colin works on translation and support, took over GSoC admin from damian. Wants to work on getting the support portal in a more user friendly form.
  • Linus is just getting involved with the team, and is active in the Tor relay community.
  • Kat has been managing requests for T-Shirts and Swag from relay operators. She intends to keep doing this over the next 6 months, and would like to figure out how else to assist.
  • Maria works with OONI, is looking for collaboration opportinues with the community team
  • Sukhe is giving talks in Canada and India. Just gave 4 talks in India. Wants to do more outreach in countries like India with large demand but no supply. Also wants to discuss global south.
  • Israel is working on Tor in latin America.
  • Vasilis works with OONI and Tor. Building connections with people in Latin America. Travelling to different cities in Brazil. Hosts OONI workshops. Participated in this years crypto rave. Has been to a number of Tor meetups. Working on getting more Tor relays in the global south.
  • Gus is an organizer of cryptogave. Does security workshops since 2007, Tor since 2013. Hosts cryptoparties in San Paolo. Organizing the next CryptoRave. Hosts Tor relay in Brazil.
  • Leonid is OONI developer. Brought some focus to the Dimitri case. (Working to give Russian police a CryptoParty)
  • Roger was the one Tor person. Does a bunch of outreach, lives on multiple teams, tries to keep everything connected. In the next few months, we should focus on operators / network health, also scheduling outreach activities.
  • Steph is our communications director. Helping to promote events, coordinate speaker training, wants to help streamline process for finding people to talk and preparing them. Having materials ready, present a unified brand.
  • Who do we target when doing outreach?
  • Tor and Cryptorave (Future partnership?)
  • Outreach training / speakers session
  • Redefine community team "Helping people help Tor"
  • Find Tor volunteers who are able to contribute. Assist the people who want to help Tor become better.
  • Sukhe coordinated with SFLC and it was badly organized. One day before the talk, was informed where the talk would be. Didnt know audience ahead of time. This needs proper organization.
  • Find more organizations in countries where we want to do outreach.
    • Lots of demand in India for Tor, lots of people use Tor.
    • Wants to give more talks, wants to clarify funding.
    • Whats the plan 6 months from now, for trainer expectations?
  • We can find different / more funders for outreach than technical work
  • Speakers b. group who wants to give talks about Tor / get feedback on speaking skills / getting practice speaking
    • Speakers can give talks in majority world
    • If you are interested in joining, let Alison or Steph know
  • Website needs to be translated
  • Many organizations doing the "defend digital rights" mission and promoting Tor. They need funding / resources. These organizations are understaffed.
    • Reach out to big funder like SIDA/Knight to fund partner orgs and develop a curriculum for outreach.
    • Help parter raise money on case-by-case basis (OTF, etc..)
    • Coordinator role for getting these partners resources / money / whatever they need
    • Build communities in regions without Tor people (Non-majority world)
    • Alison to work on identifying funding sources with Tommy
    • Who / where do we target?
    • Priorities places with some good people on the ground
    • Have more Tor people who can do these things (start communities, talk in non-majority regions, etc..)
    • Some partners will not be happy to take funding from US sources
    • How do we meet these people and build trust with them?
    • More presence in local conferences and meetups
    • Maybe send groups of Tor people to events (like CryptoRave)
  • How do we build trust in members of the Tor community who are not part of "core Tor teams"
  • How do we "create" more Tor people
    • Tor meetups are useful (potentially more useful than just a talk)
    • People are more comfortable talking to Tor people during meetups / CryptoParties vs talks that are slotted (DEFCON, CCC, BSides, etc..)
  • Look for Linux user groups, or other types of F/OSS user groups to present Tor to.
  • Work with local communities
  • Kernel.org gpg map, Tor could do something similar
  • Support portal will eventually live at support.torproject.org, be searchable, be user friendly, can easily get to things and will be translated
    • Waiting on funding
    • Working on content
    • Some questions can be reimagined
    • Needs to be translated
    • Put something on support.tpo and iterate so we can enable translations
  • OONI uses slack to grow community
    • Slack has an IRC bridge / interface
  • Mattermost could be an option
    • IRC is prohibitive

(more notes)

community team sesssions at this meeting

  • /var/relays
  • tor training curriculum
  • providing support
  • tor outside of five eyes

relay operator support

  • people have been targeted
  • what is up with torservers.net?
  • what can we do to reassure people?
  • legal resources?

outreach strategy

  • helping people help Tor
  • vasilis, ilv, gus -- latam, sukhbir -- india
  • vasilis -- took him 6 months to convince his university to run exit relays
  • leonid -- cryptoparty for russian police!
  • majority world
  • Tor meeting majority world
  • who do we want to target?

..* police ..* people in govt ..* allied organizations ..* youth ..* art projects

  • cryptorave
  • speakers bureau
  • tor board
  • schedules of upcoming outreach things

funding

  • imls funding
  • tor grants

training materials

  • fact sheet/talking points
  • using metrics?
  • should we have a training materials sprint?

goals: plan to go to Cryptorave, more GS people in the speakers bureau, find more people in countries where we want to do outreach do we have funding for global south outreach? can't parachute into a country and give a talk, need to establish trust

  • need an entry point for people to get involved
  • main constraints for organizations in these countries is funding and resources
  • longer term collaborative project funded by a bigger organization
  • prioritize the places that already have some good people on the ground

two short term goals -- building people inside Tor who are good at doing it, growing groups in whereever we are talking about who will take it and run with it

  • need to do more talks, need to have people who are local
  • what do we mean by Tor people? decentralization, privacy
  • tor meetups are quite useful -- look for local meetups, local conferences
  • map of tor community members in each city

more team members team meeting time -- send a message about possibly rescheduling, and where the meetings will be held

support portal

  • translations
  • more user friendly
  • direct user support

goals: get it onto support.torproject.org, get things translated now

  • how can we run different channels for people who speak non-English languages?

code of conduct

circumvention

  • what about getting people to upload video to China safely? video from community and comms teams

retrospective!! roadmap!!!

Last modified 3 months ago Last modified on Oct 14, 2017, 10:27:59 PM