Opened 6 years ago

Closed 6 years ago

Last modified 3 years ago

#8952 closed project (fixed)

Move Torbutton translations to translations.git

Reported by: mikeperry Owned by: runa
Priority: Medium Milestone:
Component: Community/Translations Version:
Severity: Keywords: tbb-3.0-stable-blocker
Cc: Actual Points:
Parent ID: Points:
Reviewer: Sponsor:

Description

The Torbutton translated strings from Transifex currently live in https://svn.torproject.org/svn/translation/trunk/projects/torbutton/po/.

I periodically have to run a pile of hokey scripts that convert to and from .po files and Mozilla DTD/properties files, causing the results to end up here:
https://gitweb.torproject.org/torbutton.git/tree/master:/src/chrome/locale/

The scripts I use are here:
https://gitweb.torproject.org/torbutton.git/tree/master:/trans_tools
and how I use them is here:
https://gitweb.torproject.org/torbutton.git/blob/master:/README.RELEASE#l20

Translators have reported that something about my conversion scripts causes some of their translated strings to suddenly disappear.

A direct route that doesn't involve any conversion to and from .po files would be preferable, especially if it means the only thing I ever need to update is the english versions of my DTD files, and then just copy the results from the translation.git repo into Torbutton.

Note that in addition to the existing Torbutton files, I am also about to add another dtd file for our new about:tor homepage (#7494). If we could get this transition done before I add that dtd as a new .po file, that would be ideal.

Child Tickets

Change History (13)

comment:1 Changed 6 years ago by runa

Here's what we should do:

  1. Pick a day when we can switch the Torbutton resource from .po to .dtd
  2. Lock all translations for the Torbutton resource on Transifex
  3. Get all translations for the resource from the Git repo and convert from .po to .dtd
  4. Create the "new" Torbutton .dtd resource and add the "new" .dtd source file
  5. Upload existing .dtd translations
  6. Enable translations for the "new" resource and delete the old one

I would need you to take care of (3). I know that (5) should technically work just fine, but I wouldn't be surprised if we run into some issues with formatting. What day/time works best for you?

comment:4 Changed 6 years ago by mikeperry

Keywords: MikePerry201306 added

comment:5 Changed 6 years ago by mikeperry

Ok, steps 2-4 are done. I disabled translations on the old pot files, converted them to DTD, committed them to https://gitweb.torproject.org/torbutton.git/tree/HEAD:/src/chrome/locale/, added the raw .dtd and .properties as new resources, and disabled translations on those resources.

We should now be able to script step 5 by uploading all of the existing translated torbutton.dtd and torbutton.properties files directly to transifex, and then enable translations again and delete the old one.

Runa: I believe you said you were going to script a tx-client based upload of these files?

comment:6 Changed 6 years ago by mikeperry

Keywords: MikePerry201307 added; MikePerry201306 removed

comment:7 Changed 6 years ago by mikeperry

Keywords: MikePerry201308 added; MikePerry201307 removed

comment:8 Changed 6 years ago by mikeperry

Keywords: tbb-3.0-stable-blocker added

comment:9 Changed 6 years ago by mikeperry

Keywords: MikePerry201308 removed

comment:10 Changed 6 years ago by runa

Done! Sorry for taking so long with completing this. I have created two branches for you in translation.git; torbutton-torbuttonproperties and torbutton-torbuttondtd.

Language "bms" did not exist in Transifex and I was not able to create it either. I will open a ticket with them and upload the translation if/when they can sort something out.

comment:11 Changed 6 years ago by mikeperry

Ok, I was able to check out these branches and I wrote a script to put them into Torbutton, but they are still completely unusable due to #9144. See https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/9144#comment:12

Until that is fixed we can't use any of the new translations from transifex.

comment:12 Changed 6 years ago by mikeperry

Resolution: fixed
Status: newclosed

Well, this is done. I decided to just write some haxx to display blank strings and property names for Torbutton. Better than letting it explode, I guess.

comment:13 Changed 3 years ago by isabela

Component: User Experience/TranslationsCommunity/Translations
Note: See TracTickets for help on using tickets.